What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
While I was straightening out the warehouse this morning, I shredded about 20 pounds of cardboard box inserts and added them to the compost pile.

If the weather stays nice this afternoon, I want to start caulking where the greenhouse base meets the foundation. Noticed cold air coming in there the other day.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Well done MoonShadows; you've done more than I have done today because I'm having a rare lazy day. Good luck with your caulking. (y)

Many years ago I worked at a cardboard and waste paper company and I saw enough of these to last me a lifetime baling them up by the ton. One company we collected from was David Brown Tractors and every year the local scouts collected waste paper.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, now I'm trying to decide if I want to caulk or take the rest of the day off and relax. It is Sunday...... I used to work where they had a cardboard bailer, too. Heavy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, I got my butt in gear and went outside. I trimmed down the flower beds of dead flowers around the greenhouse and got two sides caulked up. So, it was a good afternoon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Today I finished cleaning out the tomato patch, but had to leave four pepper plants that are still producing. I tried "Jingle Bell" miniature bell peppers on a whim this year. I thought "Jingle Bells" referred to the size of the peppers. Nope, it means they start producing around Christmastime!

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@mg guy i hope everything goes to plan.:)
thanks!

I grew Asiatic lily's some years ago-and after eradicating and restoring the beds in the front, I felt it was time to give them a go again. They add such a splash of color to the summer border. And I think with the hydrangea as a backbone they may look quite striking.

DSCF3927.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mg guy, lilies and hydrangeas sound good.....your hydrangeas look superb :)
Limelight is a summer feature here....lovely plant:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Next you'll be doing like Tom Sawyer and getting folks to pay you so they can rake your lawn.
actually that almost happened several years ago. Had some pachysanda many years ago, did not want it. So put an add in the paper come dig and take for free. had 5 nice ladies who took them all .

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Fed up of the dire weather preventing me working outside I've just had two lazy days which is alien to me; this morning the rain had finally quit but it is perishingly cold but WOW the sun was shining so just right for more hard grafting.

I'm hoping to replace all the grassed area in our rear garden with shrubs and flowers adding lots of mulch; I can't describe it as a lawn because it's more moss than grass. ideally one leg longer than the other would be good for working on the steep slope; anyway I've managed to turn over a section roughly 20' x 7' struggling to get through grass; moss; roots and stones but it sure is an excellent way to warm up because I now feel hot having come indoors to a welcome mug of tea. I had a little helper to keep me company his name is Harvey one of our neighbours cats and I think he's now sad that I'm not playing out with him.

This really is hard work and a small tractor would do this amount in less than a minute but by hand and it not having previously been turned over for well over 30 years slowly does it. I'm sure the roots and stones would damage a mechanical rotovator although a plough would work but be highly dangerous due to the steepness of the garden; I feel a lot better having done something useful and might do a bit more after dinner. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00114.JPG
DSC00115.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya Colin
I am a great believer in clearing the ground by hand too. I enjoy it, get to know the soil and its problems and it is very satisfying. :) A more thorough clearing too than with a digger I think:) getting plenty of muck in there too pays dividends.
A lawn lover but I can see shrubs and perennials would look good there.
What plants do you envisage there Colin?
Busy morning, not long back when my elderly neighbour rang. Could I "shift a bit of coal" for them? Lost count of the number of bags and no wheelbarrow, etc. and filling two large bunkers. Anyway, for 15 mins of reasonable graft I walked away with a huge box of chocolates, biscuits and a couple of lagers.....plus a feeling of satisfaction. :) Like you Colin, I felt a lot better doing something useful!

Ask a Question