What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, I still haven't painted the buckets black for our greenhouse, but I did get the 2nd raised cold frame filled with Mel's Mix (1/3 perlite, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 compost). I also finally affixed the electric wire coming underground from my shed to the side wall, so I won't be tripping over that anymore.

I got my other Ambient Weather temperature/humidity sensor the other day. Now, I have one in the greenhouse and one inside one of the cold frames, so I can read the temp/humidity difference between the two. I have a receiver in the kitchen and one in my upstairs office, so no running out to the greenhouse anymore to check conditions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I got all the polycarbonates panels washed in my greenhouse...inside and out. I also (finally) spray painted 6 - 5 gallon buckets with flat black paint to use for thermal mass. I would love to just have 2 - 55 gallon black barrels, but they are expensive to buy. If I had them, they would be the equivalent of 22 - 5 gallon buckets. Perhaps next year.....

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just planted 40 mixed large daffodils I received free with a plant delivery; it sure is cold out there and I was perished; no need to water them in as the ground is sodden; next I straightened out the shoots on the 6 Viburnum I potted yesterday; these were supplied with support sticks but the ties were nipping lots of leaves and shoots so I've rearranged the ties but have now called it a day my fingers were too cold and wet to grasp anything else; when I visited our wheelie bins to the bungalow side the prevailing breeze took my breath away it was so cold; I must be getting soft because years ago I rode motorcycles in blizzards without feeling this cold.

KInd regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@Colin Yes it's very cold here too. Just had a parcel with 3 rhubarb plants in. As i expected they were small plants in pots. Most of the time their large bare root plants. Had to shelter them from the cold by putting fleese around them. I always ask hubby for advice about these things, because he's more practical. Have a good day, soon going to see my friend keith for a few hours.:)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your good wishes Logan. :)

I wonder why plants aren't supplied with their own electric blanket here in the UK?

Kind regards, Colin.

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
speaking of bulbs-I finally got 'round to the 50 Asiatic bulbs I ordered earlier this season.
A pastel mix, I interspersed them among the dwarf hydrangea-with the idea that they would bloom just slightly above, and about the same time. If all goes according to plan, then these beds will have an added spark.

DSCF3925.JPG

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday i had 6 raspberry canes arrive. Couldn't put them in the ground because of frost. So i put them in a large pot. Today had 3, 9cm potted rhubarb arrive, their very small plants so had to shelter them a bit. Put some fleece over them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I did some observation for tomorrow. Second round of leaf pickup has to happen, the compost pile will grow. All the plants save weeds are gone in the garden, I hope tilling happens. I took up 2 old roses that were rootstock. Sharpened the big shears for bush haircuts that are long overdue.

Ask a Question