What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Spent the morning cleaning out the smokers because for some odd reason my barely eats meat wife wanted bbq for Sunday dinner since her sister is visiting. Sooo, Momofukus Bo Samm is now resting on the top grate at a balmy 300f and I am off to trim and mow grass. I had planted peppers in the garden, sweet green bells, cowhorn hotties and sweet yellow bell. Or maybe they were orange? Cannot remember, just like colorful meals. I also planted some sweet crimson watermelon, because we can gourd very well out there. All the seeds are not up yet, as it got chilly. This whole week should be 80f or more so it will not take long I think.

Reaction score
Country
United States
With a bigger garden I decided to upgrade the irrigation system. Added a 4 port timer and extra manifolds.

Since this system is pump driven rather than from the 60 psi tap I needed something to efficiently manage the output from the pump which doesn’t produce enough pressure to run everything at once. So far this works great!
61A994ED-3526-40F7-B30C-7869CB7B26C7.jpeg
69E59B71-F50E-47BF-B0CE-A9F1BAFE8324.jpeg
83AE7BF9-D6EF-4358-A727-1DAAB2E77B8E.jpeg
E9B434FB-89AA-4515-8CF9-AF09FA3993C6.jpeg
73303819-511E-4F30-9EF0-D65B11CDD79F.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't have a lot of time to do much today, as I wasn't home from golf (and getting "justgetmes") until 2.30pm.
Drilled a couple of holes at the top in two of the concrete posts of our post and panel side fence to string a wire to support one of our clematis, which has "gone on the rampage." I don't attach anything to the wooden panels.

Then decided to open the left-hand door of the tea-house. It's not been used for ten years since I've had my Budweiser fridge in there, which prevented the use of that door. I moved this fridge into "The Room" the other day. Found that the door was rubbing on the vinyl flooring, so took it off and planed a bit off the bottom. So now it can be opened. Yes I know I managed without it for ten years, so it wasn't essential, but now I know I can open it if I choose to. That's just me.

P1020615.JPG

The centre door can be opened either way, or even removed. It's just secured by four bolts at each corner.

The first two of our six wisterias, are nearly "there."

P1020616.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I got the stihl pole saw out and trimmed trees for dappled shade. Then I spent the afternoon running the trim through the chipper shredder. I love the shredded combo of spring leaves, sugary bark and fine wood chips. It will wear you out and cover you with dust though.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorted out the conservatory a bit by moving plants out to the small greenhouse. Had to move the tithonia out it started to get green fly I didn't want it to get on the chilly plants. Vacuumed the conservatory got all the dead leaves up.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I don't see the Budweiser Sean; I see another tool of some kind; I'm teetotal and have been drunk once in my life; I had aged 16 attended a cousins wedding and having had a few beers when I arrived home and went to bed I vowed then never to touch alcohol again and never have; I'll never forget the terrible effect the alcohol had upon me with the room spinning around. I don't smoke or do drugs either but then people spend their money on their choice. I like to invest in our home and my workshop. It's been nice to buy a load of timber and have a well equipped workshop to machine the timber in. ;) ;)

I've wandered up the mountain to have a look what's happening up there after I scattered thousands of meadow flower seeds; I knew something was growing and hoped it wasn't weeds but small plants have now started to take off; how typical of Gale to spoil my efforts; she's forever supplying a prevailing breeze as she did the day I scattered the seeds hence the area behind the primroses is a bit bare; in front of the bushes I've planted sky rocket conifers and potentillas; these too are now showing promise.

Kind regards, Colin.

Meadow flowers_001.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well nearly flattened my garden!!! Decided to do some tree trimming and get a branch that is blocking some light to my raised bed. Probably should have waited for help, but I can be stubborn like that. About half way through an 8" limb I realize I might be in trouble as I have no way to control this thing and it's the size of a tree in of itself. I managed to get ahold of a smaller limb and guide it somewhat. I did damage some potato's and carrots and my trellis. But I can fix the trellis and I'm pretty sure there potato's will recover (I hope). Once the limb landed, my trellis was actually keeping it off the garden. I then had to cut it up until I could manage it.

But the good news is I should get more light to the garden now

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Good luck logan with the lupins. I planted a few small lupins last year and was disappointed because they appeared to have died off but they've reappeared and seem to be doing well so far this year; lots of foxgloves have appeared; I planted four last year and these four look like being monsters but others too are growing not planted by me; it's a bonus because we like foxgloves. I've just been trimming hedges but now Blackie is here.

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We've just had some light showers and that's what they said, now it's stopped but we've got to take the boys out yet. Supposed to be until 4pm, just have to see.

@Colin thanks about my lupins, glad that yours have grown again they do die down for the winter.
Yes we've got blackie as.

Ask a Question