What did you do in your garden today?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Planted a lupin got 3 more to plant have to wait for the wallflowers to finish. Did some weeding and tidied up the edge of the lawn under 2 lavender bushes.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Blackie is just bursting to help you Logan. :)

I planted wallflowers for the first time and we're impressed by their long display; I too did quite a bit of hoeing yesterday; I'm trying to create a mini meadow in fact two of these; one at the very top of the mountain the other to our side garden; here's another picture showing progress. Good luck with your lupins.

Kind regards, Colin.

Meadow flowers_001_01.JPG

Meadow flowers from scattered seeds showing great promise; I hoed yesterday to clear seedlings from the newly planted sky rocket conifers and potentillas on the left also in the foreground ground cover conifers and periwinkle; two rows of primroses top right have taken very well indeed putting on a welcome display. It's been incredibly hard work to reach this stage but hopefully will be worth it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Didn' do much yesterday other than a bit of spraying the roses. It's dry today, so I'll be tackling a "re-roofing job."

When earlier in the year, I made this little bird feeder that the small birds could use, but the wood pigeons couldn't, I was scrabbling around for a bit of roofing felt, but could only find a couple of small pieces.

P1020625.JPG

But a month or so ago I refelted "the rabbit shed" as we call it. No rabbits in there for decades, since our daughter left home for GOS nursing school.

P1020443.JPG

I was looking out the French windows through the rain at the feeder last evening, when I realised there'd be some spare nice new felt left over from the shed, in the garage, I could use.

This is of course, an example of me "looking for things to do," as it's not a golf day and there's nothing pressing to do in the garden. The car's being collected shortly for its service and MOT, there's tennis on TV later and I want to learn to play a particular tune on my leccy piano I'd heard in a film the other night on the TV, so I'll not be idle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
IMG_20190510_192629.jpg

Black Widow spiders have a web that is often described as being produced by a spider that has been given the drug LSD. I kept having that thought as I attempted my first Florida Weave on my tomatoes.
IMG_20190510_193957.jpg

I planted squash randomly and in a row, just to see what came up and how they all interact. The trellis is for cukes.

Last edited:
P

Peace perfect peace

So far ive done the morning (coffee cup in hand) outside inspection,
The sky is telling me its a full day of showers on & off but thanks to having a greenhouse ive continued to re-pot some of the Lupin's from the seed pots to a larger pot with better growing compost,

The Lupin sowing has come from "she who must be obeyed" wanting to have a huge border of Lupins "just like her granny once had"
And so this year im sowing and re-potting as many seeds as poss ready for the big plant out next year.

Ive two large leyandi trees to remove for space for the second greenhouse base tobe concreted "but due to a pair of wood pigeons nesting in one of the trees ive had to put that idea on hold for a few weeks until they' ve nested and flown the nest,

"where is judge Judy when you need her? "

Ive served these two notice "they've to go.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Just did some weeding got a lot more to do, mainly cleavers and dock leaves.
Monty don says that it's time to sow wallflowers, but I'll do them at the end of the month.

Colin glad about your wallflowers, they attract a lot of bees.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Good luck in removing your leylandii PPP, how tall are they; I've felled lots of trees here including two at 80' tall; felling was easy enough but getting rid of all the brash took a great deal more time and effort. We too have pigeons nesting and although I never hurt anything at times I wish I had a big gun when they do their bombing runs making a huge mess; this is the thanks we receive for feeding them?

I didn't expect the wallflowers to do much Logan having bought them as plug plants but they've been amazing and are still in bloom; so many plants have now taken which I thought had died off; they've just burst into life. I'm on a daily cleaver hunt; for the last two years cleavers have been a real pest but now I'm on top of them and making sure they don't survive; I've just been weeding in wonderful sunshine without being wrapped up like an Eskimo; we now only have wide grass paths but I've also just cut the grass and done a bit of edging for the first time; the meadow flower seeds I scattered are now taking off big style after all the rain; I'm looking forward to masses of flowers. If only every day was like today I'd have nothing to moan about. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes Colin I have a lot of Cleavers as long as they don't go to seed should be able to get rid of most of them.
Glad that you're getting some good weather. :)

Watered some of the blueberries in pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Having removed the bluebell foliage in the back garden in the past few days, I tackled the front one this afternoon. Then hoed it. The green been is full, but the bin men come tomorrow, so it's not a problem.

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi,

Good luck in removing your leylandii PPP, how tall are they; I've felled lots of trees here including two at 80' tall; felling was easy enough but getting rid of all the brash took a great deal more time and effort. We too have pigeons nesting and although I never hurt anything at times I wish I had a big gun when they do their bombing runs making a huge mess; this is the thanks we receive for feeding them?

I didn't expect the wallflowers to do much Logan having bought them as plug plants but they've been amazing and are still in bloom; so many plants have now taken which I thought had died off; they've just burst into life. I'm on a daily cleaver hunt; for the last two years cleavers have been a real pest but now I'm on top of them and making sure they don't survive; I've just been weeding in wonderful sunshine without being wrapped up like an Eskimo; we now only have wide grass paths but I've also just cut the grass and done a bit of edging for the first time; the meadow flower seeds I scattered are now taking off big style after all the rain; I'm looking forward to masses of flowers. If only every day was like today I'd have nothing to moan about. :D

Kind regards, Colin.
Hi Colin
The trees are about 25 ft tall,
I started to remove the verious branches and then thought i'd take the trunk down from the top at 3 ft cuts "but once i removed 3/4 of the braches it was then i found the nest !!!!!!!:geek:
So the weathers tobe really nice this next week and i'll get some work done in the borders etc.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Good luck with the trees when you can finally fell them PPP, it's hard enough felling and disposing of trees but if the root has to come out then it's definitely hard graft. Unusually we also have decent weather forecast for this week; what a change though from the usual wet miserable; cold black hole.

Nice one Sean; keep it up. Yesterday I connected two outside 13A sockets; did quite a bit of weeding; cut the grass and trimmed the edges then last night polished the car; I've just visited three supermarkets and having a mug of tea and biscuit before resuming hostilities today; this retirement is great but I don't get any time off.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question