What did you do in your garden today?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Tetters came up with the idea of using this laundry basket for growing strawberries :)

DSCF1382.JPG
DSCF1384.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've been quite busy again today, (no change there then, eh?) Golf in the morning, then went to Wilko's on my way home after lunch. The decking I bought to replace the missing floor in the former koi pool filter room, is in 22 lengths. So thinking that the minimum number of screws I'd need is six per board, that's 132 screws. Wilko's sell them as "pick n' mix." So by tapping the bottom of the back as I put them in, I reckon I have enough for the price of one bag. £3.75. That's really cheap.

I painted the walls and ceiling of the room this afternoon. I'll be screwing down the floor tomorrow morning and hopefully installing the exterior 13a socket in the former pump sump ready for the fountain. Then one final trip to the tip with what scrap wood I've got left. I need to get it all done in the morning as my wife wants to go shopping in the afternoon.

I really need to sort out what goes in that room apart from the garden furniture and give the garage and shed a good tidy up, I can do that when we get home.

Gave everything a good water this evening, some of the pots seemed a bit dry on the surface.
Several of our clematis are already flowering and our acer palmatums are nearly in full leaf. I'll take some photos tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well not really in my garden, but for my garden. Not the biggest worm farm, might have to get bigger totes. 250 European nightcrawlers. Others would be better composters, but these double as good fishing bait!

IMG_20190417_144049793.jpg
IMG_20190417_144213670.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Took the last load of ex-pool stuff down to the tip.

Started moving some stuff out of the garage and the tea-house into; "The Room."

Perhaps I should explain, the shed that houses my garden tools and a couple of freezers, used to house our daughter's rabbits and guinea pigs, but hasn't seen any for more than three decades, but we still call it; "The Rabbit Shed."
"The Room's" the former koi pool filter and quarantine tank room. But that's too much of a mouhfull for it to remain that. So it will be in future be called, according to my wife, "The Room."
So far there's four garden loungers and some stuff in polystyrene boxes including over a dozen solar lights. I'm recharging the batteries and will check them out at the week-end. I've now a better place to store my spare golf bag and clubs.

P1020587.JPG

I've brought my little Budweiser fridge and stand down from the tea-house. Where it was, it blocked the left-hand door from being opened. It will live here now, also a cupboard which was on the side wall over the fridge in there. Bottom shelf for cleaning stuff, top shelf for glasses and cups. My intention is to get a small leccy kettle. This will mean I won't have to rely on my wife to make me cups of tea when I'm gardening. With her MS it's hard for her to keep coming out with them through the French windows. She did make the effort to come and see my handiwork this afternoon. Seeing the cupboard, which was one of several I saved when we had a new kitchen, the rest are in the garage, she said; "Do I need to check the kitchen to see if any are missing? Nice one!

P1020586.JPG

I've disconnected and removed the redundant two 150w spotlights on the garage wall which were trained on the pool. We're now down to five porch lights, the lights in the Japanese lanterns, the 15w fluorescent behind the opaque windows of teahouse doors, its fairylights and two 30w low voltage spots on the side fence. "Probably enough."

This meant I had a spare switch behind the lounge curtains. We have red berry fairy lights over the pergola on the side of the garage on a timer, they are on every night.
But I've now used that spare switch for the multicoloured lights on the pergola over the French windows.

P1020020.JPG

Not that they'll be on often. Even if I'm not using something, it has to be "working" if you know what I mean.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Really warm day. Did the final tidy and vaccing of the garage and rabbit shed.

Decided to take the back-up freezers out of the shed and put them in "The Room" The shed gets very hot in the summer as did the tea-house where they were before, The room is much cooler. It will also be easier for my wife to access them, as there isn't a big step up to get in.

P1020606.JPG

Got the solar lights out. I recharged all the batteries last year when I put them away, but charged up eight this morning. I gave the contacts a spray with switch cleaner before putting them in a box. Checked these eight out and they worked fine. Now the big conifer has gone the shadow won't be a problem for them.

P1020594.JPG

P1020595.JPG

I put a lot of water on the garden today as it hasn't rained for over a week.

Pleased with our Stellar cherry. When we got it last year the branches were very unbalanced, (that's nature for you) and some were crossing, so I wired it in Setember to give some separation. I removed the wires today and they stayed in the position that I'd set them.

P1020603.JPG

The two acer palmatums are looking "a little unkempt," but they aren't in full leaf yet, I'll wait until the weight of the foliage makes them a bit tidier, befotre I resort to any pruning of wayward branches.

P1020600.JPG

P1020602.JPG

This acer got "a light trim."

P1020601.JPG

I need to keep an eye on it as it has a prodigious growth rate.

The first of our several clematis are starting to flower. Spent some time tying them up.

P1020598.JPG

P1020599.JPG

Some of the assortment of bulbs we got from T & M.

P1020604.JPG

Not a lot of colour in our garden yet, the first showing of our azaleas to the side of the patio.

P1020596.JPG

Lots more to come.

P1020597.JPG

Gave my two vinyl jukeboxes in the tea-house a good run out whilst I was working in the garden, played a couple of dozen "A and B" sides on each. Use is the best form of preventative maintenance on such machines. Fortunately our elderly neighbours are deaf!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Running out of things to do.

Our new Massarelli fountain is brown. It sits on this round stepping stone on top of the concrete rim of the old filter pump sump.
Rather a clashing colour.

P1020543.JPG

I built up the plinth with sand and cement mortar, but it still looked a bit odd.

P1020564.JPG

So today, I "painted" the plinth and the stepping stone.

When I say "painted" I made up a mix of silver sand and cement and added materials I had to hand. Good old Dulux mahogany Woodsheen and a bit of black Hammerite paint.
A bit pot luck when you mix it up as stuff always dries a different colour, but I think I've got away with it.

I had to pull back the ground cover plants to install the fountain, so I've added a bit of compost and hope they will spread back.

P1020613.JPG

We're still waiting for the nine phlox plants we ordered from T & M in February. They are for the two beds I made out of the former waterfall. I drilled a 1" hole through the paving stone that forms the base of the lower part, so water can drain away and not run onto the new paving.

P1020612.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I replanted yellow crookneck squash--only two of eight plants came up from the first planting. I think I may have gotten some bad seed, so I planted 12, hoping for six to germinate and grow. If I get more, I can lift and pot for other gardeners. A community garden in town is in its second year, and those dear folks will take almost any vegetable seedling or left-over seeds. I love new gardeners--you can foist off almost anything on them!:smuggrin:

Ask a Question