What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I was just thinking, if you own a cement mixer perhaps it could be adapted to use as a sieve.
I do own a cement mixer. I thought about using it as a tumble breaker for home made charcoal. I do not have the right kind of chipper. I have run over it between pieces of plywood. I have smashed it with a hammer. Nothing save starting with chipped wood is worth the effort.

The compost is the easiest, except that one pile I have with sticks. I see Becky disregarded my pile discipline this fall. Normally I pile by type, leaves from fall in one, firewood sawdust and debris in another, Stems go in a pile to get chipped, Kitchen scraps in a bin. She put magnolia leaves and some vegetation in the leaf pile. :mad:

I will sort it when I dig out the first batch and consolidate them for the summer compost piles. More things I need to do in the garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
This might work for the charcoal DM. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This might work for the charcoal DM. :D

View attachment 51475
I have a buddy that works with that kind of equipment. I don't think he would stop laughing at me long enough to get much done though.:unsure:

It turned into fertilizer day today, 200lbs\91Kg. My work is done until September in that regard. I waited thinking it would be cooler longer, and since it was 35 this morning I guess that was on track. But it will hit 83f\28c this weekend with night temps above 50f so here we go....

Last edited:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for adding the sieve/riddle picture Sheal; it brought back memories of over 50 years ago when just about every home had one of these but made of wood. They seemed to last forever. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Only did a bit today. Spent some time in the garage, cleaning up the UV, air pump and filter pump from the koi pool, ready to sell on.

I temporarily, moved half the roses off the big patio down to the small one, in readiness for the "pool fillers" who are now starting on Thursday rather than Monday. Fortunately, I've a sack truck I bought years ago for moving my 3cwt vinyl jukeboxes, "if necessary," so it wasn't too hard.

P1020455.JPG

Never seen so much space on this patio.

P1020456.JPG

We've yet to decide which roses will go on the new "paved pool," when it's finished.

This is the bed formed by two rows of rocks at the front of the pool

P1020458.JPG

These four will be going to make an access to the new paving. In the meantime, I've a ramp that will go here so they can barrow the rubble and hardcore into the pool.

P1020457.JPG

I was a bit concerned about the white wisteria we bought last year, as it's "doin' nufink,"

P1020452.JPG

Whereas the "old stagers" are this far along.

P1020453.JPG

P1020454.JPG

P1020459.JPG

But then I "checked my records" (credit card statements) and saw that we didn't buy it until 16th April last year and it wasn't doing anything then, looking no different than today, but the garden centre said they'd refund our fifty quid if it didn't thrive.

It got this far by the end of May, so I'm still hopeful.

15.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a buddy that works with that kind of equipment. I don't think he would stop laughing at me long enough to get much done though.

Haha! I bet if you offered him cash he'd take it more seriously.

Thanks for adding the sieve/riddle picture Sheal; it brought back memories of over 50 years ago when just about every home had one of these but made of wood.

You're right there Colin. I can remember my grandfather making use of one of those around his vegetable plot. Most of them are made of plastic now but they're still a useful item.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Get two cross a few items of my list in the lazy thread! Dropped a sock looking lemon into the ground as well as a tangerine that's been struggling along in a pot. Got them both in ground, hopefully they recover, time will tell.

Also got some metallizer spread around and sprayed a bit of kelp on a few plants. Hopefully that will help the Kevin and tangerine as well!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yay, I got my old apple tree pruned, hopefully not too hard of a pruning, guess I'll find out. It was quite overgrown.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well, three of the 24 onion plants I planted are poking through (after three to four weeks) and only ONE bean plant of the 24 seeds I planted is coming up. I am very discouraged. I should go back to growing dandelions and spotted spurge. At least I can grow weeds successfully. UGH. :(:(:(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I weeded the green beans, thinned the turnips, did the first thinning of the carrots, picked lettuce and turnip greens. Cali the calico cat supervised from the garden table, and Buddy the ginger cat was up close and personal, making sure I did everything properly.
Gardening would go faster without the "help" but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Put lime into the garden today. The base clay shows 5ph and the hillrows with compost are higher. I am still deciding on how to sterilize it. Betadine and something nasty for the nematodes probably. I had a winter garden so I did not till this year. Did nothing actually, not fertilizer nor bug spray. Maybe I should just roll the dice and plant a few extra plants

Ask a Question