What did you do in your garden today?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I dreamed of getting in the garden today but this morning we visited Boundary Mills in Catcliffe; back home before dinnertime and after a mug of tea go out to debug the front of the car; I've never ever seen as many dead bugs stuck to any of my cars; thousands of them; I managed to clear the windscreen before dinner and I've just come indoors after removing the rest of the bugs from the front of the car; what an horrible job; as I came up from the workshop I brought with me my cartridge gun and tube of silicone sealant plus my cordless drill with 1/2" dia bit installed; I've now also sealed around the new outside sockets with the silicone sealant and drilled a hole in both our new garden chairs to let water drain rather than it create a pool. I'm just having a mug of tea and my usual bar of chocolate then perhaps I can head into the garden? It's annoying to think I washed and dried the car on Saturday then yesterday spent ages polishing it only for it be bombarded with bugs this morning. Nothing changes.

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Watered the blueberries in the pots and thinking what I will do tomorrow.

Colin that doesn't sound very nice thing to do.
Well you did say that you like to keep busy :LOL:

P

Peace perfect peace

I thought I'd start a new thread that can be continuously updated by everyone any day of the year. We have people on the forum from all around the world, so there is always somebody doing something with their garden. I think it would be nice to check in and see what our members have done. So whether you've been busy today or busy three months from today, here's the question... What did you do in your garden today?

I spent today preparing my vegetable garden. I had tons of weeds to pull. There's some kind of invasive grass that pops up in there, along with creeping charlie, so I pulled as much as I could find. I can start planting in about four weeks, so it's nice to have it all ready for the season! If I remember right, peas seeds can be planted before the average last frost date, so I might plant them soon. As some of you may know, growing fruits and vegetables is only a small hobby for me. I'm not into it as much as other forum members. I grow peas for my pond fish, as well as couple of tomato plants, pumpkins for decoration, strawberries, a blueberry bush, and a peach tree. I'm also trying lettuce this year. Tomorrow, I may add a few native plants to the outside edges of my vegetable garden so it looks a little more showy throughout the season.

P

Peace perfect peace

I thought I'd start a new thread that can be continuously updated by everyone any day of the year. We have people on the forum from all around the world, so there is always somebody doing something with their garden. I think it would be nice to check in and see what our members have done. So whether you've been busy today or busy three months from today, here's the question... What did you do in your garden today?

I spent today preparing my vegetable garden. I had tons of weeds to pull. There's some kind of invasive grass that pops up in there, along with creeping charlie, so I pulled as much as I could find. I can start planting in about four weeks, so it's nice to have it all ready for the season! If I remember right, peas seeds can be planted before the average last frost date, so I might plant them soon. As some of you may know, growing fruits and vegetables is only a small hobby for me. I'm not into it as much as other forum members. I grow peas for my pond fish, as well as couple of tomato plants, pumpkins for decoration, strawberries, a blueberry bush, and a peach tree. I'm also trying lettuce this year. Tomorrow, I may add a few native plants to the outside edges of my vegetable garden so it looks a little more showy throughout the season.

P

Peace perfect peace

It's been a cooler sort of day,
sunny but chilly and so out came the strimmer and the orchard was the first to get strimmed, the base of all the trees now looks nice and clean and apart from the daily greenhouse stuff its been one of those days i was glad to finsh (9pm) and the tool's we're all put away and that was the end of a nice buy chilly day.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice and sunny today so going to do some weeding. The grass/lawn needs cutting but that's not my job and hubby is working so it'll have to wait.
Just waiting till the end of the month so I can start planting out if my back will let me.

P

Peace perfect peace

Nice and sunny today so going to do some weeding. The grass/lawn needs cutting but that's not my job and hubby is working so it'll have to wait.
Just waiting till the end of the month so I can start planting out if my back will let me.
Hi Logan,
Or should i say good morning, well the suns pouring down here just now and because we both cut the grass yaesterday and the day befor the lawn looks good, still a little cool wind,
I started the strimmer work yesterday and i'll continue today,
It's strange really we have an old apple tree that sits on its own at the far end of the garden and from that point you can see most of the area of the garden "hence" we have a garden seat placed on the lawn and offten have our mid gardening work break on that seat the views over the hills really is something to see,
just behind the seat is a piece of ground and thats the place we have 4 of our past dogs buried, I always feel wrong when im strimming over that little piece of ground knowing im treading over their graves,

Strange the way we think sometimes, !!!!!!!!!!!!

Like you i have "what i call " garden pain :) but lets face it we're getting old !!! with me its one side of my neck it just gets stiff,

if i wear a scarf its ok "but" you feel a right wholly when its hot hot hot wearing a scarf.

Still its time to do what i love best Gardening.

Be good and happy gardening.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi PPP
Yes it's nice and sunny here too with a gentle breeze, just right for walking the boys. Done some weeding and cleared some hardy geraniums, they're a nuisance they spread everywhere and if you don't get all the roots out there back again.
Thanks about my back, I've had problems for a long time and the gardening seems to help it as long as i don't over do it. Sorry about your neck and your right we aren't getting any younger :LOL:

Your garden sounds lovely and big. I grow a lot of fruit in the back and the front is like a cottage garden with fruit, flowers and a few veg. Last week I sowed beetroot, spring onions and radishes, they're just starting to come up. I have to keep them covered because of the cats use it for a toilet.
Also I have some parsnips growing.

Well you do have to keep your past dogs graves tidy. We have our 5 on the sideboard with the ashes still in the box.
Have a good gardening day.

P

Peace perfect peace

Well ive been finishing off cutting the final part of the Leyandi im removing so i can put a base in for the 2nd greenhouse and boy what a pain in the Butt but its now less than 3inch above the ground, (It's not the underside of the base but outside the greenhouse but needs removing because of light and i dont want the branches pushing the glass in,
After that i got the Mantis out to tilth over the long border i cleared 3 weeks ago and even that seemed to have got a lot firmer than i thought it would "but" ive done about 20feet of the 2ft wide border area, I put tagets all along this border most years and it lasts all summer and looks good "Keeps the green fly away and i have lots of seed for next years flowers,

Tagets really are a good flower to sow from seed, Ive not bought a pkt of these seeds for something like 20 yrs believe it or not.

So its been a bit of a stiff neck day for me But its all coming together and the weathers still not really warm yet,

What did gardeners do before some of todays tools became available ?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What a day. This morning I was in our front garden early and got stuck into removing a big dead Hebe and also a conifer that was encroaching the public pathway. At around 10 o'clock a guy in suit and tie approached me; we live at #39 and he informed me his father in law Tony at #33 had sadly died and the funeral was to be at 10:30; this really saddened me and just shows how much neighbours have in contact these days of motor cars. Out of respect I quickly tidied everything just in time for the hearse and limousines arriving on the street.

After dinner when the visitors had departed I resumed work; I took a full load to the tip and did a lot of shredding; I not only removed the Hebe and its roots but I also removed the conifer down to ground level using my petrol chainsaw.

I've now had enough today and am tired.

Kind regards, Colin.

Garden_002.JPG

It sure was a big Hebe but it was over 30 years old; it filled the entire gap.

Garden_003.JPG

The front garden has outgrown itself so I'm attacking it.

Garden_004.JPG

WOW this was hard work; I have a very heavy long crowbar I use to lever roots out with.

Garden_005.JPG

Hebe roots finally out.

Garden_006.JPG

The conifer I was having a go at this morning before the funeral stopped me.

Garden_007.JPG

Hebe and conifer no more but plenty yet still to do.

Garden_008.JPG

This is the Hebe ready for shredding which I did this afternoon so its now cleared away. A very busy hard day again.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Did a bit of weeding and cutting away some of the lavender that was growing in the way of the roses. Hubby wasn't around so I could use the secetures. Some of the lavender needs replacing but still growing the lavender that's going to replace them.
Barley's had the runs so couldn't leave him for too long. So stayed in in the afternoon, watched a bit of YouTube.

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi,

What a day. This morning I was in our front garden early and got stuck into removing a big dead Hebe and also a conifer that was encroaching the public pathway. At around 10 o'clock a guy in suit and tie approached me; we live at #39 and he informed me his father in law Tony at #33 had sadly died and the funeral was to be at 10:30; this really saddened me and just shows how much neighbours have in contact these days of motor cars. Out of respect I quickly tidied everything just in time for the hearse and limousines arriving on the street.

After dinner when the visitors had departed I resumed work; I took a full load to the tip and did a lot of shredding; I not only removed the Hebe and its roots but I also removed the conifer down to ground level using my petrol chainsaw.

I've now had enough today and am tired.

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 53655

It sure was a big Hebe but it was over 30 years old; it filled the entire gap.

View attachment 53656

The front garden has outgrown itself so I'm attacking it.

View attachment 53657

WOW this was hard work; I have a very heavy long crowbar I use to lever roots out with.

View attachment 53658

Hebe roots finally out.

View attachment 53659

The conifer I was having a go at this morning before the funeral stopped me.

View attachment 53660

Hebe and conifer no more but plenty yet still to do.

View attachment 53661

This is the Hebe ready for shredding which I did this afternoon so its now cleared away. A very busy hard day again.
A go
Did a bit of weeding and cutting away some of the lavender that was growing in the way of the roses. Hubby wasn't around so I could use the secetures. Some of the lavender needs replacing but still growing the lavender that's going to replace them.
Barley's had the runs so couldn't leave him for too long. So stayed in in the afternoon, watched a bit of YouTube.
ARHHHHHHHHHH tHE Smell of Lavender and fresh mint 'Cant beat them'

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Started transplanting the tomato plants, then Sam came up covered in grease. Cleaned Sam it is now late and the blood suckers are out in mass.
Start again in the morning about 9 or so after the dew is mostly gone.

Ask a Question