New garden hut.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been torn between making a new garden hut or building an Hobbit House. I favoured the Hobbit House but common sense kicked in; it would mean moving lots of heavy building materials up our steep garden whereas making a new hut would be hard enough. Our summer's are so short and I want to do some woodturning and metal spinning too plus lots of other interesting projects; a Hobbit house would take quite a bit of time and a great deal of effort so hut it is. I built a new hut a couple of years ago but need a second hut to store more gardening kit in. It's not going to be a shed because it won't have windows; I don't see the point of putting expensive gardening kit on display for our local low life.

I've spent time preparing the site in readiness and the timber arrived this morning so the hut floor is now completed; it's a joy to use my workshop machines in anger; cross cutting or ripping 4.2m lengths of timber is so easy saving a huge amount of time; after dinner I need to machine the "V" grooves in the boards which will be fun because the timber is still very wet after being treated at the sawmill. I've knocked off for dinner so having a few minutes spare thought I'd add this thread for a bit of interest, I could have bought a sectional hut but my home made hut will be much stronger.

Kind regards, Colin.

New hut._002_01.JPG

Steep garden causes lots of problems; just standing upright is challenging.

New hut._003_01.JPG

Retaining wall under construction; these stones were heavy to move onto site.

New hut._001_01.JPG

Retaining wall completed; not the best wall I've built but will be hidden by the hut.

New hut._002.JPG

3" x 3" treated fence posts as floor joists well supported.

New hut._001.JPG

New hut delivered this morning as flat pack.

New hut._004.JPG

What a joy to cross cut long lengths of timber so easily. Cutting two at once to save even more time. Please note the "stop" ensuring all lengths are equal saving lots of measuring.

New hut._005.JPG

New hut floor completed. It's certainly heavy duty and will eventually be covered with lino. Looks easy so far but it doesn't show my aching bones.

New hut._006.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Certainly looks like a solid foundation...and some good lumber. Looking good!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Esther for taking an interest; yes it will be a one off. :)

Thanks Meadowlark; I doubt I'll have problems with the foundations having gone to this amount of time and trouble; I could have bought a sectional hut and it would be erected by now but I want a hut that's going to be much more robust. :)

Yesterday I started machining the boards; each board needed two rebates then the "V" profile so first job was cross cut to length then spend time setting my home made saw bench up to cut the rebates; each board would need four passes through the saw total 2,300' of cutting. I didn't need a bedtime story last night.

This morning I've been routing the "V" profile; only one profile per board but as the boards are so wet it's been extremely difficult due to the router clogging up with debris meaning constant clearing; about 575' to rout; I've just carried these completed boards up to the hut site and it's flattened me I feel exhausted but after dinner I'm sure I'll be ready for action again; this retirement sure is hard graft.

Because I've got stuck into this hut project and the timber is here it's forecast thunder from tomorrow which is about right for my luck; my personal black cloud Blackie has let up for quite a while but now as usual whilst working outside I'll be getting the usual soakings; we have a number of huge moorland fires raging at the moment so a lot of rain will be most welcome as it will too for the gardens.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Once again I worked myself to a standstill; I was incredibly tired by the time I knocked off yesterday at 8pm after a full day on this project.

Machining the timber was very difficult due to the timber being so wet; progress has been made though as seen in the pictures below; I'm unable to do more work this morning and this afternoon is forecast thunderstorms; last night I carried the remaining timber into the workshop after all its already wet enough without thunderstorms adding more.

Kind regards, Colin.

New hut._007.JPG

Home made 4hp saw bench set up for running rebates.

New hut._008.JPG

First pass for each rebate; please note offset saw kerf; cut is 1/2" deep.

New hut._009.JPG

This wet timber clogged up the dust extraction so I had to do the job without extraction; I was wearing dust mask and hearing defenders throughout; this treated sawdust is highly injurious to health; it's possible arsenic is used in the treatment process.

New hut._010.JPG

What an horrible job without extractor running.

New hut._011.JPG

Space is rather limited but I manage to get through lots of work.

New hut._012.JPG

My big 3hp Makita router choked with wet debris; I spent more time clearing the debris than actually routing.

New hut._013.JPG

Routing under way adding chamfers (V's) to the boards.

New hut._014.JPG

Our neighbours lovely cat Ruby keeping me company.

New hut._015.JPG

It's coming together but very difficult working on the steep slope. Bron and I are about to go out so no work on the hut this morning.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Very impressive rebates and a lot of work. Its going to be great.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks DrCase; yes indeed goodbye ugly wall. ;)

I'm my own worst enemy Esther; I've got tunnel vision; one job at a time and get on with it until completed; being a guy I can't multitask and I don't like jobs hanging on. I've done a lot more timber machining this afternoon so with luck tomorrow the job will move on apace. :)

Yes; definitely a lot of work Meadowlark but apart from aching bones and being tired out it's quite enjoyable; had the garden been on the level rather then a valley side it wouldn't have been so tiring; I enjoy these projects a lot though. :)

I'll update with more pictures as work progresses.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I'm my own worst enemy Esther; I've got tunnel vision; one job at a time and get on with it until completed; being a guy I can't multitask and I don't like jobs hanging on
quite opposite of my husband. 1/2 jobs done are left for months, just irritates me. I want to yell FINISH ALREADY. example our deck is half painted last fall, spends winter the other half not painted/ re stained. its not that he is twiddling his thumbs, but don't start something if you can't finish it. will keep checking back. good job Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
A good idea to start a separate thread. There's los of people who are interested in the progress of a project. I did the same with the build of our tea-house. It's just a succession of photographs I put on You-Tube seven years ago. It still gets about a thousand hits a month, it's up to over 75,000 now. You'd have the same success, or better.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You don't do things halfway! Solid wood will last several lifetimes. Great job. Now here is something else to consider. Give the shed a living roof to add character to it. Depending on the amount of sun you could grow sedum or a shade loving plant like periwinkle. The only additional expense would be some EPDM and dirt.

Ask a Question