What brand of chainsaw do you prefer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Howdy all. I am curious what brand of chainsaw do you favor? I've used Stihl for many years and have generally been happy with them. However, I had serious trouble with a brand new saw recently and after a bunch of run around, finally have it back and operation again. I think I still favor Stihl, but after these shenanigans, I'm thinking of looking into Husqvarna or another make next time.

Any thoughts, other options, etc., would be great. Thank you. :)

Reaction score
I don't use a chainsaw in my gardening, what are you using it for in particular?

Reaction score
I've needed a chainsaw from time to time with lots of large trees. Chainsaw makes it 10x easier and faster to clean up dead branches! I don't really know enough about chainsaw brands to have a preference. Typically the better brands will cost more, so you gotta find a balance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I don't use a chainsaw in my gardening, what are you using it for in particular?

I actually have two chainsaws; a big one for felling trees for firewood and a small one for garden work. The latter is for quickly clearly branches, removing larger plants (small trees, shrubs, etc.) in order to clear space for gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would answer by type rather than brand. I have 45cc Stihl, 16 inch. It has so many ebay parts on it that it truly is a Chinese -German machine at this point. The saw I use most, for cleanup and such, is a 58 volt electric. The blade is thin like a trimsaw or polesaw, so it is not my favorite for cross cutting logs. I like it because it is quiet and I do not have to rebuild it because it is so simple. It is an Echo brand. The Husky 55cc's are popular saws around here. Pay attention to the type of teeth on the chain so that the chain is well chosen for the type of cutting you do. There are a suprisingly large number of choices, and new saws often come with anti kickback or safety chains which are not as fun to use imo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have an Echo that I have been merciless on. At one point a couple of years ago I lost my temper with a palm tree stump and jammed the blade down in the dirt to cut all the roots so I could finally remove the stump. The stump came out but I wound up buying a new blade and chain. Aside from this I bought new gas lines and a new carburetor due to ethanol gasoline. I can't imagine how many hours I have on this saw, but it still is very dependable. My vote is Echo.

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am very biased for Stihl, I have a few over the years and my Stihl is my favorite. I beat the crap out of this saw, have it cleaned, sharpened and empty the gas/oil couple times a year and it cranks every time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Stihl although it's a littlie older, used to cut firewood primarily.

I did have some lighter trimming I wanted to do and I didn't want to break out the" hive of energy" as I call it. I got a little Craftsman electric and it works surprisingly well, the chain is prone to stretching though. For some reasons chains trip me out, such a little package of fierce energy you just hold in your hands. Makes weed eaters, blowers and all look like baby toys ;)

Oh and yes ethanol is a PITA. Stabil or SeaFoam in every gas can these days just for starters. Basic carb rebuild kit if it has sat too long.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've owned my Timberwolf 20" chainsaw quite a few years and it owes me nothing having paid for itself on the first big tree I felled. I seldom bother sharpening the chain because new chains are cheap enough and as long as they are only cutting timber they do a lot of work. I use Oregon chains and I bought 2 x 5L Stihl Synthplus chain oil rather than mess around with the 1L containers. I never let it run dry of chain oil. When I've finished using the chainsaw I always drain the fuel and chain oil; if I leave chain oil in it wets itself.

My chainsaw is only used in our own gardens but its done a lot of work; I find felling big trees the easy part; getting rid of all the brash is much more time consuming; I also have a Bosch garden shredder;

http://www.gardenshredderreview.co.uk/the-reviews/bosch-axt-25d-quiet-shredder/

I find my chainsaw and shredder an ideal partnership; I used to run car loads of brash to the tip but now I shred it and use it as mulch.

Here's part of the trunk of one of our 80' tall trees I felled and disposed of. I wouldn't be without my chainsaw and shredder.

Kind regards, Colin.

Bottom half of trunk..jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was given a Homelite chainsaw as a house warming present from my brother when I moved into this house two decades ago. I decided to clear about 1 1/2 acres behind the house. It wasn't too long before I burned the Homelite out. I bought a Stihl and it was a work horse. Still have it even though I seldom use it now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Silentrunning you got me with that one. I know about farm fuel, is that the same? Where does one get recreational gas? I usually use 89 octane, but even so the machines that I own that do not have commercial grade carburation have to get rebuilt more often than I would like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Silentrunning you got me with that one. I know about farm fuel, is that the same? Where does one get recreational gas? I usually use 89 octane, but even so the machines that I own that do not have commercial grade carburation have to get rebuilt more often than I would like.

More and more stations are starting to carry recreational gas. In Florida it was readily available because of all the boats. Here in N.C. I am having a harder time finding it. It is 87 octane but contains no ethanol. It generally runs about $1 per gallon more than the 10% gas but is well worth it especially in two stroke engines.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
We heat our Michigan 1900 sq. ft. home with fire wood burnt in a England 28-3500 add on wood furnace.

qOYYGso.jpg

Bought my first chain saw in 1975 a Husky 162SE with a 16 inch bar and chain. Great saw I still use some today. Decided I needed a second saw so bought another Huskvarna a model 55 which is also a good saw but had issues with fine saw dust some how plugging the carb. The good Husky dealer also retired and sold the bussiness and the new owner was a total Jerk. Bought a Jonsered 2159 to replace the 55. Great saw but had a Cat muffler and I had to wear a Ove Glove to run it till I bought a aftermarket muffler for it.

yRV7Viz.jpg

Wanted a small limbing saw 40cc's or less so started shopping. So many that size had only a single nut holding the bar on, many had a wrench less chain tightner which earns a lot of bad reviews.
I bought a Echo CS 400, 40cc saw 5 year home owner warranty, a great dealer who unboxed the saw assembled it and ran it adjusting the carb for our area.

32HmphU.jpg

354a405.jpg

Today when I go to the woods I carry 4 saws. The Johnsered, a Husky Rancher 455, my Echo CS400 and a Polan 2150 that had been my father in laws, I found to be a great one handed limbing saw.

dulEZXB.jpg

loadofwoodandsaws.jpg

sawsandloadofwood.jpg

Today if I were to buy a new chain saw it would be a ECHO brand with the 5 year home owner warranty and the great dealer.
They have from small top handle saw all the way up to 80.7 cc's at decent prices.

:D Al

Ask a Question