Do Brandywine tomatoes take longer?

Reaction score
Many of my tomato plants have been flowering even tho a little late from the weather we have had, and many have been growing some tomatoes too. Both of my brandywine tomato plants look healthy and tall but neither of them have any sign of flowers. They are very healthy looking so I am wondering if maybe they will be late bloomers? It is my first time growing brandywines.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure about the Brandywines, but some of the varieties we're growing in our big tomato comp have the "days to maturity" on the packets. I'm growing Early Goliath which is marked 58 days, but the Big Zac's and Better Boy's are marked 80 days.

So quite a difference there.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
loli brandy wine (2).jpg
G/f is growing Brandywine, she took this pic this morning :)

Reaction score
View attachment 726 G/f is growing Brandywine, she took this pic this morning :)

Nice :) Wonder if the weather kept them from flowering all together or if they are just lagging behind. It took quite a while for my others to flower and start with tomatoes. The plants do look healthy, just not full and bushy.

I didn't start the Brandywine from seeds, I bought 2 plants from a local nursery so I am not sure the average time for it to harvest. Hopefully soon I will see something!

One of them had a flower back in May shortly after I planted them, but the plant was barely a foot tall and the flower died off. That was the only sign of a flower I had on either of the 2.

Reaction score
I grew Brandywine one year & it was a very big leafy plant which didn't fruit until late in the season & then non too prolifically.. Lovely flavour but it took up too much space in the greenhouse so I wouldn't grow it again. It maybe needs a lower latitude to do well.

Reaction score
I grew Brandywine one year & it was a very big leafy plant which didn't fruit until late in the season & then non too prolifically.. Lovely flavour but it took up too much space in the greenhouse so I wouldn't grow it again. It maybe needs a lower latitude to do well.

Maybe I won't see anything until August then. The plants look very healthy which is why I couldn't believe they were not flowering. I am not sure when they were actually started from seeds because I bought them as a small plant, but I planted them all in early-mid May.

Reaction score
One of the brandywines is getting a couple flowers on them but the other is not. The one that is not is very tall tho with no sign of good flowers. You could see little tiny spots that looked like they would have been flowers, but nothing became of them.

Ask a Question