What brand of chainsaw do you prefer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I just bought a 95 CC Farmertec saw from the huztl.net website. It is a full stihl ms660 clone so if a part sucks I can get a better one. 300 bucks vs 1200 so I risked it. I have a 45 cc stihl 260? that I have had for 20 ish years. It has a wrench free tensioner which is cool. I also enjoy my echo 58v saw. It has a trim blade so not the best for dense trunks but for limbing hardwood or cutting softwoods it is good and no rebuilding it - just charge the batteries of which I have 5. They last a long time and I rarely use more than one, but did use 3 to limb out a full grown shaggy bark hickory once. Once the trunk got about 20ish inches I bent the blade. It was a new experience order parts for a battery saw, but they sent them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I use a 20" Craftsman, and have done for a long time. Apart from having to sharpen/change chains now and again, its been a good one. Cutting down some oaks for a neighbour about three years ago, it easily outperformed a newer Stihl that the guy other guy used.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would rather go for Stihl. I use MS 170, it's easy to use, is good at cleaning bad branches or anything else I need. But my friend bought a more affordable option and don't have any problems with it. So I think you can consider some other brands if you want to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
LOL for 75 dollars I bought all the aftermarket parts for a stihl ms250. They literally are in a box and I am to assemble them. That takes the "other brands" idea down a dark path.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
STIHL !!!!! There is no equal!!!!!!!! get the "easy start"

Agree there is nothing out there with the quality/performance of the Stihl. I have the Farm Boss and each time I use it now the compression seemingly gets more and more difficult for me to overpower to start it. I've been looking at a smaller saw with the "easy start'"...maybe you could comment on the relative ease of starting with the "easy start" option?

Also looking at electric chain saw to use for small jobs around the house...but in hurricane country, you better have a powerful chain saw...almost as important, maybe more so, than a generator.

Ask a Question