Brand new to forum, lots of questions??? lol

elo

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi, just joined this group and am excited to start learning. I live in the Charlotte area of NC and would say my gardening skills are mediocre at best. I built two raised beds around my house which I intend to fill with shrubs and perennials. I'm really not into annuals except in planters or baskets. They are beautiful but so much work to redo every year. I will be looking for suggestions and (gentle) critiques as this project progresses.
before2016.JPG
after2016.jpeg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! :)

I like the way you curved the border, it looks good. (y) Are you intending to buy perennials, or grow them from seed? I agree, I prefer perennials myself, but must admit, annuals are nice fillers while I figure out what goes where! :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome, and you have vastly improved the area near your house! Curves are more natural and much easier to mow around than right angles.
Choose your perennials carefully, since they will be close to your foundation (big root masses and foundations don't work well together, and you have vents that shouldn't be blocked).
May I suggest that whatever you choose, the plants shouldn't be the same height or same foliage texture. Taller plants mixed with shorter plants lets each stand out, and with large leaf foliage mixed with smaller, again each one of the plants are more noticeable.
It looks like you have a lovely home, and the flower beds you have planned will just add to the beauty!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum! I love what you have done with the border, it's a big improvement (y)

elo

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

I like the way you curved the border, it looks good. (y) Are you intending to buy perennials, or grow them from seed? I agree, I prefer perennials myself, but must admit, annuals are nice fillers while I figure out what goes where! :D

Thank you! What I've planted so far has been plants (most rescued from the clearance shelf in garden center) and bulbs. I have a Knock out rose that is amazing, several varieties of lilies which are all coming up nicely, a very sad Gardenia which I am praying will make a comeback, ditto for my hydrangea. I also have a Speedwell and Coreopsis which are both doing well, and a collection of glads that I love. I'd like to fill it out so there's color all year but not only are the annuals so much work planting every year, but disrupting the weed block creates so many opportunity for the weeds and makes it all much higher maintenance than I'd prefer. Maybe my user ID should have been Lazy Gardener! LOL

elo

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome, and you have vastly improved the area near your house! Curves are more natural and much easier to mow around than right angles.
Choose your perennials carefully, since they will be close to your foundation (big root masses and foundations don't work well together, and you have vents that shouldn't be blocked).
May I suggest that whatever you choose, the plants shouldn't be the same height or same foliage texture. Taller plants mixed with shorter plants lets each stand out, and with large leaf foliage mixed with smaller, again each one of the plants are more noticeable.
It looks like you have a lovely home, and the flower beds you have planned will just add to the beauty!

Thanks! LOL I actually used the radius of our mower turn to determine the curves! >_< Thank you for the suggestion, it's so simple but so smart! I don't have to worry about the vents too much though as when they were installed the mason messed up and they don't actually open! LOL but still very good advice! I'm so excited!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi, just joined this group and am excited to start learning. I live in the Charlotte area of NC and would say my gardening skills are mediocre at best. I built two raised beds around my house which I intend to fill with shrubs and perennials. I'm really not into annuals except in planters or baskets. They are beautiful but so much work to redo every year. I will be looking for suggestions and (gentle) critiques as this project progresses. View attachment 35620 View attachment 35622
I really like the roundness of your design, @elo

Ask a Question