What are some small trees or shrubs to go either side of my shed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're putting up a shed in our back yard and I'd like to put some small low-maintenance trees or shrubs either side of the double doors, preferably something that can be grown in pots. I'd ideally like to have something that will stay under 4 feet. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are always many options for plant selection. Tell us more about your needs and preferences. Should the plants be deciduous or evergreen? Do you want showy flowers, and if so which color, and in what season? Of course, a photo of the place in question would help immensely.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The shed hasn't been delivered yet (plus it will take some time to set it up), so I can't add photos yet, but here is a stock image of what we're getting.

I'm not sure of what plants we want, but I'm up for all kinds of suggestions!

Attachments

• new shed.jpg
    new shed.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
Country
United States
That is an attractive shed. The direction the doors face will have important consequences for light. If you know that, do tell, though sun and shade options can both be suggested.

You want the plant to be four feet tall, including a reasonable container height, so perhaps a two and a half foot plant. Evergreen.
You mention shrubs (and trees), but you may wish to consider perennials as well. Low maintenance is a relative term. For containers, regular irrigation, and occasional fertilization, grooming and shaping would be expected.

If the shed faces South perhaps something like Lavender (Lavandula spp. & cvs.) or a low Rose (Rosa cvs.).

if the shed faces North perhaps an evergreen Azalea (Rhododendron, various evergreen hybrids) or Japanese Daphne (Daphne odora).

For East and West exposure with a half day of sun you might try a number of sun or shade options.

Again, for both sun and shade, consider a mixed planting of perennial and annuals in a large container. This often give the most interest and show through the seasons. Also, if you do want a taller shrub or less maintenance, consider an in-ground planting in that location, such as a Camellia or Hydrangea.

Finally, to state the obvious, I have only touched on a few possibilities, there are many others.

Ask a Question