A neat way to use extra small trees or vines .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
There is an old-fashioned way of making a kind of woven fence, and it is called a wattle fence. You can make it as tidy, or as rustic as you like, depending on the branches you use, and how tight you weave them.
Basically, you put in wooden posts that are the size and height that you want the fence to be, and space them about a foot apart. Then you take your branches or vines, and weave them in and out through the posts, as loosely or as tightly as you want them.
This is a great way to make borders around a small garden area, or a compost pile, and a way to recycle scraps from trees and vines that you would just throw away or burn otherwise. There are some good tutorial videos on wattle fences on YouTube , that will give you some great information on building an old timey fence.
Here is a picture of a compost bin made from old wood re-used. It is not exactly a wattle fence, but I thought it looked great, and would be easy to make with small trees.
image.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good idea to recycle some of the limbs that fall from the trees instead of sending them to the dump. I have seen pictures of the other uses for twigs this one.
il_170x135.308570186.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It looks very nice and natural, in my opinion it's a great idea. I could make something like this. Since my parent love cutting trees, we always have a lot of branches.
I'd rather have trees though:(

Pat, these frames are really pretty as well:)

Reaction score
I love this idea!! And wish I would of thought of this when I had my tree trimmed last season because I really many branches that would of made a very nice wattle fence! Ah well...I'll keep it in memory for the next time! Thanks for sharing!

Reaction score
There is an old-fashioned way of making a kind of woven fence, and it is called a wattle fence. You can make it as tidy, or as rustic as you like, depending on the branches you use, and how tight you weave them.
Basically, you put in wooden posts that are the size and height that you want the fence to be, and space them about a foot apart. Then you take your branches or vines, and weave them in and out through the posts, as loosely or as tightly as you want them.
This is a great way to make borders around a small garden area, or a compost pile, and a way to recycle scraps from trees and vines that you would just throw away or burn otherwise. There are some good tutorial videos on wattle fences on YouTube , that will give you some great information on building an old timey fence.
Here is a picture of a compost bin made from old wood re-used. It is not exactly a wattle fence, but I thought it looked great, and would be easy to make with small trees.View attachment 556
I love the creative ability of gardeners to make use of things that most people would throw away! From the wattle fence to pots to plants I have seen an amazing number of ideas that are clever, creative, and very beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a great idea and all natural! My sweet pea is growing out of control and this would be a fantastic way to help it climbing on beautifully.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My parents were saving old vines and drying them out in their garage and trying their hand at basket weaving. I'm not sure if this is something they are trying to do or not. I think it would be neat to use old vines woven together as a trellis in the vegetable garden. I wonder if I can find someone who has done it on the internet. Research time!

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
This idea is timely. There is a hedge around our small compound that is made of tithonia. It has many gaps which are temporarily plugged by the thick leafy cover during the rainy season. It doesn't help that a neighbour interferes with it by aggressively pruning on his side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thanks for bringing this thread back to life @remnant! What good ideas. I tend to have lots of vine and palm frond trimmings and i am thinking now that i could use them in useful and attractive ways to create some filtered sun shades in some areas that are not protected from the sun and where the plants tend to get sunburn.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is really cool. I love the rustic look it gives. I want to find an old wooden barrel, dump it on its side with a mound of soil in and around it and plant flowers so it looks like they fell out of the bucket.

Ask a Question