Small Trees in Planters - Questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello -
In my New York City backyard I have a Stewartia Pseudocamellia and a Japanese Umbrella Tree in planters. Due to the small size of the yard, and specifically the area where they're placed, I would prefer that they remain pretty small. But they've grown (as trees will) raising questions. Should they be pruned? Should they be transplanted into larger planters? Both? If you suggest pruning, is this an OK time to do that (March 2, 32 degrees...)
What do you think?

IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_3714.JPG

IMG_3715.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They can be grown in containers almost in definitely if you treat them like gigantic bonsai. You would have to remove them from their pots and trim the roots every 2 years or so and then trim the tops. The Stewartia is going to be a problem because of the shape of the pot, with the top being narrower than the bottom. In order to remove it you will have to break the pot. That's the one that will need a bigger pot. I think you would want to wait another month or so to do anything drastic. Check with an independent nursery nearby for more local information.

Ask a Question