best way to cut small area of grass

sha

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi, we have a small area about 10' x 5' in the garden that gets overgrown with grass. what is the best way to cut the grass? don't want to use a weed whacker. looked into the fiskars long-handled grass shears but don't think it is the right tool.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Have you considered a reel mower? Scott's brand has a good cut and sells a 14" mower for 75usd on amazon. Some are even less. The wider ones like 20" are more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
We have a area of Monkey grass about 3x20 ft. that I cut with hand shears when I don't care to hear the screams of the 2 cycle weed whacker. The shears I have aren't near the quality if Fiskars but it only needs to be clipped once / year in February and not on a regular basis as your grass..

An alternate idea would be Buffalo grass in your area that blooms at approx. 1" tall and never needs cutting. If this would be an option I suggest conferring with your county extension service to determine if Buffalo grass would even grow in that area with the soil you have. I live where it's native and know very well that it can be persnickety about where it lives.

Also the Monkey grass could be a consideration to be cut once / season.

Attachments

• Grass Buffalo - 2020.JPG
    Grass Buffalo - 2020.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Grass -Monkey ll- 2018.JPG
    Grass -Monkey ll- 2018.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

sha

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you considered a reel mower? Scott's brand has a good cut and sells a 14" mower for 75usd on amazon. Some are even less. The wider ones like 20" are more.

The area in question is in our little community garden where space is tight. the reel mower would be too big for the job. thank you anyways!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The area in question is in our little community garden where space is tight. the reel mower would be too big for the job. thank you anyways!
Have you tried hedge trimmers? I have a battery powered set that scissors quite a bit on a pass.
ryobi-cordless-hedge-trimmers-p2910-64_1000.jpg

sha

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a area of Monkey grass about 3x20 ft. that I cut with hand shears when I don't care to hear the screams of the 2 cycle weed whacker. The shears I have aren't near the quality if Fiskars but it only needs to be clipped once / year in February and not on a regular basis as your grass..

An alternate idea would be Buffalo grass in your area that blooms at approx. 1" tall and never needs cutting. If this would be an option I suggest conferring with your county extension service to determine if Buffalo grass would even grow in that area with the soil you have. I live where it's native and know very well that it can be persnickety about where it lives.

Also the Monkey grass could be a consideration to be cut once / season.

hi, tx for the suggestions. to plant the buffalo grass, we would have to remove the existing grass and then till the soil. since we are a small community garden, the garden plots would get in the way too. i am leaning towards looking again into all the different shears. too bad the long handled one doesn't seem that great a design.

sha

Reaction score
Country
United States
These seem odd yet useful. I wonder if they will save your back?

View attachment 78262

i looked at something similar by fiskars. however i watched a youtube review on those and it said the fiskars shears don't open wide enough. the one you posted seems to open wider but i haven't seen it for sale locally. i will bear this in mind though. thank you!

Ask a Question