When is the best time to relocate trees?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
My climbing trees were planted a little too close to each other so I want to move one of them apart from the other to give it more room. It's over 15 years old now.

Is this the best time to relocate it or I should wait until Spring?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Always best in the late Autumn or early Spring when it's dormant and the ground isn't too hard due to cold weather to get a spade in it,.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You are going to try to move a tree that's been in the ground for 15 years. Good Luck with that.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When you say ''climbing trees'' what plant do you mean ? (Latin name would help)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
@[B]Tetters[/B] Attached is the "climbing" tree I was talking about. I put a trellis against the wall behind it so it can climb onto it. I don't know what it's called. It might be a shrub and not a tree :). The gardener just trimmed it so it's much smaller now.

Attachments

• IMG_7907.jpg
    IMG_7907.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 66
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is a climbing plant, but not a tree ! It is impossible to identify it from the photo you have posted, and needs a few more clues - like a close up of the leaves and maybe a description of any flowers.
It would probably be better to take some cuttings in the springtime when growth begins again - then you would have a back up if a transplant fails to work.

Ask a Question