Best general fertilizer for shrubs and flowers?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven’t fertilized my shrubs, flowers, hydrangeas, rose bush and trees. Is there a general fertilizer I could apply to all these areas (im in zone 7) this month to help brighten the green leaves and promote nice flowering? What’s recommended? And should it be applied above or below the mulch? I’m having mulch delivered this weekend so I can apply either way

P

Peace perfect peace

Watering any feed gets to the plants roots quicker than laying feed on the surface "But" if you want a slow feed try using guano feed (in case you dont know what this is its a form of sea bird defication "shit") Its a very good feed for roses /shrubs etc and all feeds onto the soil not the mulch, this way the feed gets to we're it will do good for the plants etc "root system"
Now rose feed "dont feel you need pay the extra cost of rose feed because tomatoe feed is just the same and used as a liquid feed will do a good job, if you feel your plants/shrubs /Lawn etc need a boost use Epson salts (google epson salts and uses) and you'll see what these salts do both in the garden and after a hard days gardening in your own bath water,
Ive just tonight placed an order with amazon for my epsom salt delivery,

Reaction score
Country
United States
Watering any feed gets to the plants roots quicker than laying feed on the surface "But" if you want a slow feed try using guano feed (in case you dont know what this is its a form of sea bird defication "shit") Its a very good feed for roses /shrubs etc and all feeds onto the soil not the mulch, this way the feed gets to we're it will do good for the plants etc "root system"
Now rose feed "dont feel you need pay the extra cost of rose feed because tomatoe feed is just the same and used as a liquid feed will do a good job, if you feel your plants/shrubs /Lawn etc need a boost use Epson salts (google epson salts and uses) and you'll see what these salts do both in the garden and after a hard days gardening in your own bath water,

I’m looking for something quick, in the next few weeks, Might liquid be my best option? What’s roughly the NPK I want for hydrangeas and what about for roses? Thank you for the Epsom salt advice.

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi pinky,
The hydrangears like a dry soil (they dont like getting their feet soaked for long periods)
The feeding NPK is 12/ 4 / 8 or 10/10/10 the best feeding periods are MARCH/MAY/JULY.
if you add a little lime the flower heads will turn a pinkish
If you add sulpher then you'll get a blue flower,

"Tip"
when liquid feeding pour the feed so that the tips of the leaves are dripping onto the feed area and dont feed to near the plant stems,
Once again check what feed your using as one is a slower feed than the other?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi pinky,
The hydrangears like a dry soil (they dont like getting their feet soaked for long periods)
The feeding NPK is 12/ 4 / 8 or 10/10/10 the best feeding periods are MARCH/MAY/JULY.
if you add a little lime the flower heads will turn a pinkish
If you add sulpher then you'll get a blue flower,

"Tip"
when liquid feeding pour the feed so that the tips of the leaves are dripping onto the feed area and dont feed to near the plant stems,
Once again check what feed your using as one is a slower feed than the other?

ive seen lime but never sulfer. Is sulfer Available in liquid? Would 9-3-6 be a fertilizer option to improve/increase flowering?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If I use granular, is it better to apply below or above mulch? And roughly how long does it take until the plane starts showing signs of the fertilizing when using granular opposed to liquid ?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
does this mean I need to apply regular watering?

Give them an area with moisture. You see them lining the valleys in Cornwall. They love moisture retentive soil. If you live in a hot place, regular watering. But they DON'T need ericaceous soil, as one shop assistant shouted out in a diy gc - she was wrong unless the customer preferred a certain colour.

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi greenpinky,
Any plant food has to get to the plants root system to start to feed it,
If you've a form of barrier between the plant and the way to this system its going to slow it down and if it's a boiling hot day 'even if you applied the granular feed the evening pre the hot day the feed may well be effected by the sun, "Try to feed late in the day when its cooler and the evening moist night air will help, and the moisture wont evaporate as it will during hot day tempature
I use liquid most of the time "but " If im using granular i lightly fork it in, (just scratch the top few inches) and then water,
Some granular feeds disolve when you water them ie epsom salts very quickly and others end up looking like weet a bix crumbs and tend to stick in the mulch should you apply them on top of the mulch,
Now ref the look of plants once you've applied the goodness feeds have depends on what they looked like pre you feeding them,
I mean if your plants are turning yellow or they're drooping or in the case of fruit the fruits not growing well, it may not be a feed problem you've got it's more of a care from the start problem, ie the soil/compost or the pots to small, the plants are not water offten enough, the heats to much the plants in the wrong place ie direct sunshine,
Its well worth taking your time and learning about what the plant needs are, And more important what they dont need,
PS just a small tip, so many plants are killed due to over watering/over feeding and also covering the plants leaves with feed,
Always feed from the bottom (this way the plant will give the top area whats needed) if you cover leaves with feed you stand a chance of the plants leaves being burnt "unless its a plant that needs mist feeding" and again find out what your dealing with? And water from the top,
Never let plants stand in water for long periods as they will soon have root problems (root rot) and it the main plant system is damaged then the plant cant grow healthy,
I hope this little lot helps;)

Ask a Question