Ivy Tips - Pruning, best fert etc.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
20191115_064713.jpg
20191115_064728.jpg
Hi all.

So i have 2 Ivys that i want to cover a fence.

I have had them about 6 months and they seem to be doing fine.

Couple of questions.
Whats the go with pruning Ivy to get it "full" or "bushy" the plants dont need to be super long i guess but i want them to fill the fence.
Whats the best type of food for them.
Do they like plenty of water.

Any tips would be awsome as i want them to do well. I seem to be obsessed with vines and climbers at the moment.

Thank you.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my garden Ivy doesn't need or get any supplementary water or nutrients. It really is down to the your climate and soil. After first planting I would water them in and then if it was a dry spell water maybe once a week for the first month or so. Yours appear to be growing alright.
Ivy might not grow too well on your fence though; as they are not twining plants like, clematis, or holobelia; they grow by adventitious rootlets gripping the surface and climb better on solid surfaces, like walls, tree trunks and wooden fences. If your fence is galvainsed then the zinc might prevent the adventitious roots from gripping.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi.

Yes i was thinking about maybe attaching something to the fence to give the roots something to get into.

Thanks for the reply.

Ask a Question