Best Online Garden Supply Business?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
New here - in fact, first thread.

I'm curious which online garden supply companies you have found worth of purchasing from?

Yes, I would much rather support my local businesses, but, as real life shopping is being shut down, and people choose to isolate themselves at this time, I think I need to look online for delivery of some needed supplies as we enter our early spring season here in the Finger Lakes area of upstate NY.

I'm ready to get going. But I need some things that I have to have delivered to me.

So, which companies have you found affordable, easy to use, reliable, trustworthy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Other than seeds all of the other stuff they sell like fertilizer, pesticides, fungicides etc are all way overpriced. You can get the same or equal from hardware stores or nurseries much cheaper. Hardware stores have been designated as essential. Having said that, I find that most of the seed companies are about equal on everything. Just google seed companies and browse thru their online catalogs. I have used them all at one time or another

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
My favorite online seed company is Parks seed. I've dealt with them for years. Territorial seeds and Seeds and Such are a couple of others I like for certain seeds.

As far as other stuff, I use my local feed store a lot...but some things I like I go right to Amazon where I can find everything I need. I'm in a rural area and Amazon is just a life saver. Some products I get in just one or two days. The price? Some things are high but many are very competitive. If you are a Prime member you get a lot of breaks.

In the current state of affairs, Amazon is an absolute life saver and will become my preferred provider on more and more things as time goes by.

So what if I spend a few pennies more....what value do you put on safety, convenience, availability, reliability and just not having to deal with the mass of humanity? To me its huge, huge!!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
For completeness you just can't beat Amazon. They have access to just about everything one could imagine needing for the garden. Walmart for some things yes but Amazon just about has it all.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like using Amazon because it's the only platform where I can find everything I need. I've bought there my mower and still happy about it. I usually buy some small cooking appliances and gardening tools there too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It's impossible to get a definitive answer to this question, given the number of countries where this board is read.

Although we have used suppliers like Thompson & Morgan, Taylors clematis, etc., some of our best purchases have been though eBay.
A lot of mainstream suppliers use eBay.

I use eBay as a sort of "price barometer." Even if you don't buy from them, it's a good guide to what you should be paying.
Over the years, I've had around 500 transactions, mostly buying but a few selling. Never had any problems, you just have to use your common sense. Only deal with suppliers with 99% or better feedback, over a huge number of sales.

All different suppliers.

In the last year, I've bought plants, bird food, pot movers, a replqacement blade for my lawn mower, garden chemicals etc.,

Three years ago I bought this Stella cherry tree. It's perfect. It was excellent value for money.

P1030750.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My favorite online seed company is Parks seed. I've dealt with them for years. Territorial seeds and Seeds and Such are a couple of others I like for certain seeds.

As far as other stuff, I use my local feed store a lot...but some things I like I go right to Amazon where I can find everything I need. I'm in a rural area and Amazon is just a life saver. Some products I get in just one or two days. The price? Some things are high but many are very competitive. If you are a Prime member you get a lot of breaks.

In the current state of affairs, Amazon is an absolute life saver and will become my preferred provider on more and more things as time goes by.

So what if I spend a few pennies more....what value do you put on safety, convenience, availability, reliability and just not having to deal with the mass of humanity? To me its huge, huge!!
Parks Whopper is a reasonable tomato. They all come in at once though so be careful.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... They all come in at once though so be careful.

All at once, huh?

In over a decade of growing these here as my primary tomato, I never have noticed that to be the case, nor a problem. In fact, here on July 22, we still are harvesting tomatoes (although smaller) from plants started in Feb. and set out in March and with several green ones that will yet ripen. Not many folks around here still have plants from spring still producing...but my Whoppers are.

Production from May through July is excellent in my book...and by throwing a little dirt on some selected limbs to create new plants, they will produce again this fall.

parks 1.JPG

parks 2.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
All at once, huh?

In over a decade of growing these here as my primary tomato, I never have noticed that to be the case, nor a problem. In fact, here on July 22, we still are harvesting tomatoes (although smaller) from plants started in Feb. and set out in March and with several green ones that will yet ripen. Not many folks around here still have plants from spring still producing...but my Whoppers are.

Production from May through July is excellent in my book...and by throwing a little dirt on some selected limbs to create new plants, they will produce again this fall.

View attachment 68893

View attachment 68895
Oh hush it with your ripe tomato! I noticed my first blush of the year today! And yeah well they do not come on the same day, but maybe I just actually remember the grousing out of the kitchen as all the canning and so forth became a necessary function!

Ask a Question