Best way to fill raised garden beds?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi experts! First year attempting vegetables in my newly built raised garden beds! My two beds are each 4'x6'x10", a bit less than 24 cubic feet each. From SF bay area with zone 9B if that helps.

- What is most reasonable way to fill the beds if I will like to grow vegetables (tomatoes in one, combination of cucumber/squash/eggplant in second)? Seems like there is a lot of various recipes of compost with soil. Should I just buy multiple bags from home depot? Buying in bulk is not really an option as I have no pickup truck and the beds are on top of my sloped backyard.

- Can I attempt the lasagna gardening method now and amend the top layer with store bought bags of potting soil so I can put the seedlings in now?

Any friendly tips for a beginner trying to stay on budget is much appreciated?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see you are in the US, you can purchase about 20 bags of top soil in the bag for $2.69 a piece. You can throw in a few bags of compost in for about $5 a bag in with the topsoil. Then you are ready to grow. Good luck

Ask a Question