When is the best time to seed grass?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
I have some bald spots for my lawn in the backyard. I want to put more grass seed down for the entire lawn so everything will be nice and uniform next year. When is the best time to put grass seed down please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the springtime Andy. You need to choose a time when everything is actively growing again. Seed needs warmth and water to germinate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I see you are in California. Quite a range of weather there. Does it snow where you are? I try to put out fescue in the late fall, but here it is not even freezing until December. If you plant in early spring the seed really comes up. I like growing things here between November and May because it's our rainiest period and not only are our temps mild but the insect and fungal pressure is as low as it gets all year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
@DirtMechanic. it does not snow where I am in Southern California. The weather goes down to the 40s at night now. During the day, it's in the mid 60s and low 70s.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Then for fescue the biggest question is how to bury the seed. I have found mixing it with Black Kow Compost gives a near 100% germination on spots and all I have to do is shovel the mix out of the wheelbarrow and rake it thin where I still cannot see the bare dirt. After it comes up in about 3 weeks to a month a starting fertilizer might be useful if it yellows, or you mightt put one down first and fill over it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It depends on what kind of grass you grow. Right now is great for anything other than Bermuda grass or kikuyu. They want to be very warm to germinate, so June/July is best for them.

Ask a Question