When is the best time to plant grass seed?

Reaction score
At the moment we have these little red rocks in our yard with a layer of this black material (not sure the name but supposed to keep the weeds from growing) underneath the rocks. This is just how the yard has been for years now and we did not do this. The kids can play in the yard but of course carefully since when they fall it is not a soft landing. Have no idea why somebody made this yard all rocks to begin with.

The only green we get (besides my garden) is the weeds that are now coming through that black mesh since it has been under the rocks for quite some time and it is starting to break down and tear. We want to plant grass which will be a big process since we have all these rocks to get rid of.

I have heard some people say that you should plant grass seed in the fall so it has all winter for the roots to grow nicely before coming up. But then I have heard many others say that you should plant it in the spring.

Which one do you think is better - planting grass seed in the spring or in the fall?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I guess the autumn planting would give it more time to establish as you wouldn't be walking on it so much in the winter, but i'd plant now so it gets the sunlight it needs.

You'd have to stay off it for a while though.

Oh, another thought, it would get covered in leaves if it were planted later, so I can't see that being too sucessfull.

Reaction score
I'm all for spring planting! We planted grass in the springtime last year, and it came up beautifully! Unfortunately, we had to move, so we don't get to enjoy it anymore. Time to start over, I suppose. What kind of grass seed are you planning on buying?

Reaction score
That black stuff you speak of is probably weed barrier fabric it is designed to keep weeds and anything else from growing whereever you have it. With that said it does have a life span depending on the type usually about 5 years and it does begin to break down. Also after you have mulched over it a couple of time the mulch begins to break down into dirt which then gives the weeds something to grow in and they begin to grow on top of the fabric and some of their tiny roots begin to penetrate the fabric.

Now the best time to plant grass seed is in the fall, however the second best time is spring, but you need to make sure that you did not put a pre emergent on your grass this spring if you did then your grass will most likely not grow.

Reaction score
I'm all for spring planting! We planted grass in the springtime last year, and it came up beautifully! Unfortunately, we had to move, so we don't get to enjoy it anymore. Time to start over, I suppose. What kind of grass seed are you planning on buying?
I am not sure to be honest! The only time I planted grass seed was years ago helping a family friend who did landscaping. I didn't buy the seed, I just used the spreader. We planted it in the spring, but it was also a big development that wanted it done "right now."

I don't really know the different types of grass and this is a big project since we have a lot of rocks to remove. Do you have any suggestions for seeds?

I don't see it happening this year but hopefully for next year. We have no access to the yard from the road so all of the rocks would have to be moved through the house to get to any truck or anything to take it away.

Reaction score
That black stuff you speak of is probably weed barrier fabric it is designed to keep weeds and anything else from growing whereever you have it. With that said it does have a life span depending on the type usually about 5 years and it does begin to break down. Also after you have mulched over it a couple of time the mulch begins to break down into dirt which then gives the weeds something to grow in and they begin to grow on top of the fabric and some of their tiny roots begin to penetrate the fabric.

Now the best time to plant grass seed is in the fall, however the second best time is spring, but you need to make sure that you did not put a pre emergent on your grass this spring if you did then your grass will most likely not grow.
We haven't planted anything in the yard yet. The weed barrier fabric is under a layer of little red rocks. That is all our yard is (the whole yard) is the fabric with the little red rocks on top. No idea why this was this way or whose idea it was. It is a project!

This stuff has to be well over 5 years old too. I had to tear a bunch of this stuff up and remove a bunch of rocks just to put my garden in.

Reaction score
A factor to consider is how intense the weather conditions get in your spring and falls. Where I live I would suggest the spring time! The weather is good all season around, providing just enough sunlight for the grass seeds to grow. Falls where I live are extremely hot, not providing a good environment for the grass to grow.

dim

Reaction score
I seed lawns at most times of the year (excluding winter)

the seed germinates when the soil temperature is above 6 degrees C ..... it takes 10-12 days for the seed to germinate, but you cannot mow until the grass is 2 1/2-3 inches tall

the key is that you must water it well on a daily basis .... prepare the soil properly, add the seed and cover with a fine layer of topsoil or compost .... then water daily

do not add weed and feed fertilizer for at least 6 months after sowing

and remove the weed fabric before seeding ....

Ask a Question