Best fertiliser for reblooming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two dormant orchids and an anthurian. I keep seeing that I need a balanced fertiliser (ideally 20-20-20) for them to rebloom. I can’t seem to find a fertiliser with this composition, or even one with high phosphorus compared to nitrogen. Even fertilisers for orchids Always seem to have higher nitrogen than phosphorus. I’m confused, where can I find this balanced fertiliser? or what fertiliser would you recommend for house plants to rebloom ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Holly13213 :) Anything too technical hurts what`s left of my brain these days, so I leave it to the people who make the stuff and feed my orchids (occasionally, when I remember, with baby bio orchid feed - or similar) In between flowering I just give them a nice drink of warm water every week and let them rest. They seem quite happy with that and have been flowering every year (whenever they feel like it)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Holly13213 :) Anything too technical hurts what`s left of my brain these days, so I leave it to the people who make the stuff and feed my orchids (occasionally, when I remember, with baby bio orchid feed - or similar) In between flowering I just give them a nice drink of warm water every week and let them rest. They seem quite happy with that and have been flowering every year (whenever they feel like it)
Thank you for responding! Mine stopped flowering about a month ago so I cut back the stems. I’m hoping they reflower again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are very welcome Holly. Are yours moth orchids - Phalaenopsis? DSC00322.JPG like mine.

If so, I reckon they are the easiest ones to look after. They will need a rest before they flower again. I always keep mine in clear pots so I can see the roots, and only need a thorough watering about once in 10 days - making sure they drain right through because they don`t want to be sitting in a puddle. When new growth starts again in mine it seems to either be a new leaf, or a new flower stem first.
You have to have patience.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are very welcome Holly. Are yours moth orchids - Phalaenopsis? View attachment 72766 like mine.

If so, I reckon they are the easiest ones to look after. They will need a rest before they flower again. I always keep mine in clear pots so I can see the roots, and only need a thorough watering about once in 10 days - making sure they drain right through because they don`t want to be sitting in a puddle. When new growth starts again in mine it seems to either be a new leaf, or a new flower stem first.
You have to have patience.
They are! I tend to cut back the stem to just below the last dead flower but, this is the first time the stems have died back. I cut them right back (hope that was right) and hopefully they’ll grow new stems when they’re ready. Where does the new stem grow from, do you know?
732F39D4-DAE3-4851-813A-6E62E3BAFE80.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always cut the stems right back. They have no further use once the blooms have faded. As I said before, don`t bother to look for new stems yet - they will take a rest now. The new stems will pop up from wherever they choose to, and you will see a difference between them and the new roots that could go in any direction. Once I didn`t pay attention well enough and cut the new stem off :shame:
Will you tie them up again so they stand to attention? I let mine lollop this year, and think they look more natural..... a couple of mine are still blooming at the moment - I`ll go and get a photo. Oh yes, and I found that my plants do best on the kitchen windowsill, which is facing north!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always cut the stems right back. They have no further use once the blooms have faded. As I said before, don`t bother to look for new stems yet - they will take a rest now. The new stems will pop up from wherever they choose to, and you will see a difference between them and the new roots that could go in any direction. Once I didn`t pay attention well enough and cut the new stem off :shame:
Will you tie them up again so they stand to attention? I let mine lollop this year, and think they look more natural..... a couple of mine are still blooming at the moment - I`ll go and get a photo. Oh yes, and I found that my plants do best on the kitchen windowsill, which is facing north!
I see. I keep checking them for a sign of a new stem coming through guess I need to be more patient. I do like the look of orchids when they hang free or attached to bark. But, I think I’ll probably prop them up again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DSC00434.JPG
DSC00435.JPG

As you can see, the mauvy pink one has just about finished, and the white one isn`t far behind it. One of them didn`t flower at all this time, but has a nice new leaf, and the yellow one is showing off - it can stand up tall without a stick :rolleyes:
The onions are trying to be a curtain (first effort at stringing them up to store) .......it`s all good fun.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 72775View attachment 72776
As you can see, the mauvy pink one has just about finished, and the white one isn`t far behind it. One of them didn`t flower at all this time, but has a nice new leaf, and the yellow one is showing off - it can stand up tall without a stick :rolleyes:
The onions are trying to be a curtain (first effort at stringing them up to store) .......it`s all good fun.
Wow they’re beautiful! Hopefully mine spring back again with lots of flowers ! The double stemmed one is a peachy colour and the other is a spotty purple (for some reason I only have a picture I took because a moth landed on it)
041701B2-C780-4F0B-B322-D47BF1A536F3.jpeg
2D63642C-4F2C-4740-AD3B-F5A6140E0967.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have faith - they`ll be back. Just don`t forget to water occasionally, and keep an eye on the roots - they need to show green through the see through pot..... having said that, I`ve just been to check mine, and have decided it is watering time for them :rolleyes:
That top pic of yours is classy! I need to find a spotty one for here. They don`t have to cost a fortune, I have found the bum shop aka B&M is quite reasonable and Tesco too.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have faith - they`ll be back. Just don`t forget to water occasionally, and keep an eye on the roots - they need to show green through the see through pot..... having said that, I`ve just been to check mine, and have decided it is watering time for them :rolleyes:
That top pic of yours is classy! I need to find a spotty one for here. They don`t have to cost a fortune, I have found the bum shop aka B&M is quite reasonable and Tesco too.
The spotty one was a gift and it’s from b&q. The peach one I bought myself from a garden centre. But yeah they can be quite reasonable in price

Ask a Question