Best practices for overseeding?

Reaction score
I recently purchased a home, and the backyard was never taken care of. Lots of "dog spots", weed patches, and bare patches. I overseeded last weekend, and have been watering diligently. Does anyone have any tips or words of encouragement about how to ensure this goes smoothly?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My recommendation is just to make sure that you seeded evenly so that you don't have patches that are too dense and ones that are still a little bald. I has been a while since I have planted grass and I remember it taking about a month or so to really take off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
As long as you have enough water and good soil, I don't see where you could go wrong. I'm not a fan of chemical fertilizers though, but if you have a compost heap, that should get things going nicely.

Reaction score
My recommendation is just to make sure that you seeded evenly so that you don't have patches that are too dense and ones that are still a little bald. I has been a while since I have planted grass and I remember it taking about a month or so to really take off.

We had a giant, 30x30 square of mulch that we renovated. We put down dirt and seed, and that took off after a week. I'm more concerned about the overseeding, because I haven't seen progress, but if your experience was a month to see results, I should stop worrying.

Thanks!

Reaction score
As long as you have enough water and good soil, I don't see where you could go wrong. I'm not a fan of chemical fertilizers though, but if you have a compost heap, that should get things going nicely.

I water it twice a day, but the patch was under an above-ground pool, so I can't say how good the soil is. We dug up the dead stuff and covered it with soil. I guess I expected to see results faster. Thanks for your input.

Ask a Question