What about eating?

Reaction score
Omg, really? It's been a while since I tried planting cucumbers.... so I didn't even remember they were climbers lol. I will try that :) I actually had a magnificent dream involving strawberry seeds ;) I can't wait to finally move out, so I can try planting some edibles! At least cucumbers.

Reaction score
ChanellG

You talking about having battles with insects and critters over food plants, has got me thinking - I might be going a bit crazy myself, :D as I don't remember mentioning any battles with insects or critters over food plants, especially when
I know for sure, having to do that - would definitely make me crazy :D

Fortunately I don't have too many critters or insects to deal with, and the ones that I do have, like ants, giant locusts and fruit pinching birds, just have to be dissuaded, as there isn't much that can be done to eradicate them - which is probably why the ant and giant locust population here is absolutely enormous,

Reaction score
Well the ones around here are hibernating so we won't see them for a few years. A lot of people have said that it may not be the cicadas ruining my moms fig tree, but I will try some of their tips and see if it will work and hopefully we can revive the fig tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It seemed I was pulling some kind of worm or caterpillar or snail off a plant daily this past spring and summer. It was driving me nuts! You know how you can regrow a cabbage stump? Every time I would make progress towards doing that something would get to the plant and eat it! I'd get it nice and healthy and pretty and before a real head could grow the leaves would start to disappear.

Reaction score
My wants to grow mangoes. She has a large back yard now and she has gone fruit tree crazy. She has lemon, lime, kumquat, orange, peach, plum, fig, and avocado so far. She's had the first three for a while, so they are actually mature enough to produce fruit. She also has a couple grape vines and lots and lots of season veggies.

Now that my work is taking me away from home more I am working on a garden re-design plan. Meyer lemon is still really young, though I'd like to add a lime and avocado at some point and possibly a fig tree. I'm not a fig fan but everyone in my family loves them. Right now I am considering an olive tree just because I love the way they look. They are so pretty! I need a winter plan for dealing with all these trees though, and a storm plan for summer.

LOL sounds like everything I want to do as well. I am afraid our winters might not be good on an olive tree. We do have an avocado tree from a seed and I am going crazy wanting to plant more fruit trees. I love figs and would love a few of them... Oh my list just goes on and on and on and hubby just shakes his head.

Reaction score
I put chopped up Kale onto tonight's pizza, and it was wonderful! The bitter flavor was totally gone. It just tasted like a veggie pizza, and I LIKE veggie pizzas!

I wonder if it was the tomato sauce. I shall have to play with this a bit!

Reaction score
I put chopped up Kale onto tonight's pizza, and it was wonderful! The bitter flavor was totally gone. It just tasted like a veggie pizza, and I LIKE veggie pizzas!

That sounded like a good pizza. I like veggie pizzas if they are done right. Some people do not know how to make a veggie pizza.

Since the weather has gotten cold I think I will make a vegetable soup with all the trimmings including okra. Yummy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...Oh my list just goes on and on and on and hubby just shakes his head.

LOL! If only we had the time and money...

I put chopped up Kale onto tonight's pizza, and it was wonderful! The bitter flavor was totally gone....

It's possible; I love kale and chard as well. I want to grow dragon kale, as it's my favorite. You should try making kale chips. Yum!

Reaction score
A friend of mine from work told me that she had an overabundance of tomatoes this year and asked if I wanted some. Of course I said yes and now I have pplenty of tomatoes to eat. I am liking that.

Reaction score
LOL! If only we had the time and money...!

Yes so true. I think I will be adding butterfly attracting plants to the list of things I want to try as well this season coming up. Just grinning away as I type this because even though Keith is still asleep he will be shaking his head if he looks at my list! LOL :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
It will be very cold tonight, and so I have spent the last 3 days cutting the kale and running it through the dehydrator: I now have an entire gallon of dehydrated kale flakes!

Kale is good for my health but I cannot always get it in the stores. I can now re-hydrate my own kale and use it in Italian recipes or simply eat it as a cooked vegetable. I am feeling very capable right now!

Though, unfortunately I have bits of dry kale all over the kitchen as it is so light and fluffy that the least little breeze blows it about, and I lack the energy to wipe everything down tonight. Dinner was leftovers as I was too tired to cook and I really did not have to. My little dog made things worse: he went out to the garden also and he disappeared behind some bushes in the back of the yard. He came back muddy up to his eyebrows and he absolutely reeked from whatever he had found to get into! I had to wash him off or he would have stank up the entire house! .

Reaction score
Fresh carrots are so good, right out of the dirt and rinsed off with a garden hose! I also love salad greens, zucchini, squash, and beets. We had salad greens growing a couple years ago and we would have a fresh salad every night for dinner. It was so nice to go out and pick what we needed and nothing beats fresh greens!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
A friend of mine from work told me that she had an overabundance of tomatoes this year and asked if I wanted some. Of course I said yes and now I have pplenty of tomatoes to eat. I am liking that.

That is a good situation to be in! I was just thinking about how now it would be to have an abundance of tomatoes to make sauce or confit.

I LOVE kale, @Kansas Terri! I wouldn't mind having an abundance of it on hand. There are so many things you could do to use it up from making kale chips (yum!) to putting it in smoothies, to using it in soup and freezing some.

Those are all good items, @Mrs17716! I wish I had salad greens growing, but I am scaling back until I can devote more time to daily care of my plants. It got cold here overnight, and even though it wasn't freezing, the wind chill probably did a number on several of my plants. The cold snap is temporary though, so it gives me some time to figure out what I can do.

Ask a Question