What about eating?

Reaction score
That is a good situation to be in! I was just thinking about how now it would be to have an abundance of tomatoes to make sauce or confit.

I LOVE kale, @Kansas Terri! I wouldn't mind having an abundance of it on hand. There are so many things you could do to use it up from making kale chips (yum!) to putting it in smoothies, to using it in soup and freezing some.

Those are all good items, @Mrs17716! I wish I had salad greens growing, but I am scaling back until I can devote more time to daily care of my plants. It got cold here overnight, and even though it wasn't freezing, the wind chill probably did a number on several of my plants. The cold snap is temporary though, so it gives me some time to figure out what I can do.

It's a lot of work to keep up a garden, that's for sure! But it is oh so worth it :) During the summer months, my husband will come home from work and tend to the garden. It's like his time to decompress and there's something so therapeutic about working in the dirt! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I can wait, @Annetteb, because before spring can get here we have to get through winter and I am not yet ready to be cold! Even though there hasn't been much sun of late, I would love to continue to enjoy autumn temperatures for a while longer before I have to start bundling up every time I want to go out someplace. Forget weeding, etc., once it gets cold!

Reaction score
It's starting to get colder but the warm temps are not completely gone yet. I wonder if we are going to have a very mild winter this year. I would love that, but my sister says that the winter weather isn't here just yet but it's coming. I just hope it comes and goes really quick.:D

Reaction score
I eat alot of vegetables so most of what I grow I do eat. I eat a good number of fruit as well but would like to start growing some fruit trees too, especially avocados I mentioned this before but wonder why they are so expensive in the store.

Reaction score
Today is mild and so I peeled back the plastic that was covering the swiss chard. Some of the stems were broken but I harvested quite a bit, which I used in a large salad.

It was Thanksgiving for us in the states just 2 days ago, and I am having trouble getting back on a healthy diet. I thought that a big salad would help me to behave myself! For the salad I used a lot of swiss chard, my second to the last garden tomato, and bought lettuce and cabbage.

This warm spell is not supposed to last long, and so when I had picked enough chard I covered it up again.

Reaction score
I love eating tons of vegetables (I'm a vegetarian), my favorites would definitely be carrots and broccoli! I love cheesy broccoli soup, absolutely delicious. I think I will try it one day with some random carrot bits, I can't begin to imagine the taste! Pumpkins are pretty yummy as well.

I can't stand squash though, it's too slimy for my liking. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...I wonder if we are going to have a very mild winter this year. I would love that, but my sister says that the winter weather isn't here just yet but it's coming. I just hope it comes and goes really quick.:D

I wish you luck with that - the forecasters are claiming that we are in for a cold a bitter winter in many areas this year. I am a little worried about my plants because I haven't had a chance to upgrade to a larger greenhouse and I don't yet know how I am going to protect them. I'm already finding that certain plants are just not suitable for my lifestyle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Today is mild and so I peeled back the plastic that was covering the swiss chard. Some of the stems were broken but I harvested quite a bit, which I used in a large salad...

This warm spell is not supposed to last long, and so when I had picked enough chard I covered it up again.

I am not sure if my chard is suffering in the temperature or not. It's been in the 50s during the day for the most part; I was worried it might not get enough sun, but then I remembered it can be grown in the shade so at least I know it won't suffer for lack of sunlight at this time of year. I didn't do enough reading when I got it and now that I'm so busy it's been fending for itself. I can't tell if it's doing okay or if it's suffering.

Reaction score
ChanellG, I am so jealous of all the stuff you have access to! I am lucky enough to have pecans, my grandma has a fig tree and my other grandma has apple trees. I can not even think of a fruit or veggie I will not eat! I think the only thing I am wishy washy about is brussel sprouts. That is more of a how they turn out thing, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
ChanellG, I am so jealous of all the stuff you have access to! I am lucky enough to have pecans, my grandma has a fig tree and my other grandma has apple trees. I can not even think of a fruit or veggie I will not eat! I think the only thing I am wishy washy about is brussel sprouts. That is more of a how they turn out thing, though.

LOL, don't be too jealous, @Mariam, it's not the same as when you're growing those things yourself. When a family member grows something you have access to some of the harvest, but you're in competition with them and other people. One of these days I'm going to have the time and the space to grow more stuff myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love eating tons of vegetables (I'm a vegetarian)...

I can't stand squash though, it's too slimy for my liking. :rolleyes:

I am practically a vegetarian, though like you I eat cheese. I also eat a little seafood on occasion, but I can live without it. I do love squash, particularly summer squash and zucchini. I recently started preparing butternut squash at home and I've tried my hand at spaghetti squash -- still need to work on that one. I got pattipan squash for the first time from the farmer's market a few years ago and I make that every now and then. I've never tried cooking acorn squash and I'm not even sure I've tasted it before, but I'd like to do that next.

Reaction score
I tried spaghetti squash for the first time, this year. I loved it! I used the shell as a bowl and topped the squash with alfredo sauce. My husband calls me a rabbit because I am a huge raw food fan. I would say vegetarian, but I love cheese. I like seafood on occasion and crunchy bacon is a weakness.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I tried spaghetti squash for the first time, this year. I loved it! I used the shell as a bowl and topped the squash with alfredo sauce. My husband calls me a rabbit because I am a huge raw food fan. I would say vegetarian, but I love cheese. I like seafood on occasion and crunchy bacon is a weakness.

When I stopped eating meat, many, many years ago, I got that "rabbit food" thing from my family all the time. The thing is, as I said above, I still eat cheese (can't give that up!) and a little seafood. In spite of that, people will still call me a vegetarian. I'd like to know what kind of cheese or fish grows from vegetation :)

Reaction score
I absolutely will not eat Brussels sprouts or cooked carrots, raw carrots are fine. I was forced to eat those two quite a bit when I was a kid and I refuse to even allow Brussels sprouts in my home. They are very cool looking when they are growing in a field but no way will I eat them. I'm fine with most anything else including raw carrots.

Ask a Question