What about eating?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Failed with Carrots here too, think i've got about 5 that the slugs haven't eaten. Good job I don't like them that much.

Reaction score
speaking of things that won't grow - my very favourite garden vegetable is carrots, because I love the sweet crunchiness, and they store really well. And after planting 5 rows, staggered through the spring, I'm not sure that I'm going to get a single carrot!

Last year our carrots did not produce either. I am thinking that we need to start them earlier and cover them up during the colder months. It does get hot here in the south east quickly. There are so many things that I want to grow that just don't want to give me a chance. LOL :(

Reaction score
I love just about every vegetable there is. My favorites are: okra, string beans, peas, tomatoes, cucumber, squash, zucchini, all types of greens, broccoli,peppers, watermelon, corn, carrots, potatoes, lettuce, cabbage(all kinds), beets, and turnips. There are a lot I haven't tried yet, but I'm open to trying them. I also like a lot of fruit as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Failed with Carrots here too, think i've got about 5 that the slugs haven't eaten. Good job I don't like them that much.
Last year our carrots did not produce either. I am thinking that we need to start them earlier and cover them up during the colder months. It does get hot here in the south east quickly. There are so many things that I want to grow that just don't want to give me a chance. LOL :(

I Love carrots! It would be nice to be able to grow them, but they're pretty cheap at the grocery so for the time being I will keep buying them. The only thing about growing your own food, is you have to wait such a long time to harvest anything. I need to make a list of things that can be harvested quickly. I want to get some perennial veg plants going and some fruit. That seasonal stuff is just too much trouble unless you have a farm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love just about every vegetable there is. My favorites are: okra, string beans, peas, tomatoes, cucumber, squash, zucchini, all types of greens, broccoli,peppers, watermelon, corn, carrots, potatoes, lettuce, cabbage(all kinds), beets, and turnips. There are a lot I haven't tried yet, but I'm open to trying them. I also like a lot of fruit as well.

I will eat just about any fruit or vegetable as long as it doesn't stink or have a weird texture. (The smell of fresh papaya makes me ill...) It's much easier for me to list what I don't like: bell pepper, jalapeno's et al, okra (even if I make it, it doesn't digest well), green chilies, black-eyed peas, kidney beans, celery... there's not much, really.

Reaction score
I Love carrots! It would be nice to be able to grow them, but they're pretty cheap at the grocery so for the time being I will keep buying them. The only thing about growing your own food, is you have to wait such a long time to harvest anything. I need to make a list of things that can be harvested quickly. I want to get some perennial veg plants going and some fruit. That seasonal stuff is just too much trouble unless you have a farm.

Yes they are very reasonable in the grocery store but I would love to be able to grow my own. A list would be wise. I need to make one myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It looks like the nasturtium seeds I planted outdoors are sprouting. I haven't grown nasturtiums in a while, but I'm looking forward to trying out different recipes and hoping the aphids won't devour the plants. They have been all over my milkweed, but I haven't been spending as much time in the yard over the past few weeks.

Reaction score
I eat just about any vegetable. There's no vegetable that I don't like to eat. My favorite vegetables to eat though are tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers and eggplants.

Reaction score
Here is a list of some of the fruits I like to eat:
Apples, Oranges, plums, grapes, bananas, watermelon, peaches, raspberries, blackberries, olives, pineapple, and mango. I try to eat some of these fruits for breakfast, but sometimes I can't buy any fruit for that week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I eat just about any vegetable. There's no vegetable that I don't like to eat. My favorite vegetables to eat though are tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers and eggplants.

Are you growing any of these things, @jodiann12? I would like to grow asparagus, but it takes so long to establish a bed that I just can't see dedicating a lot of space to it. Even with foods you can get in one season, it takes so long from flower to fruit... it's a good thing we have supermarkets and commercial agriculture else people would starve waiting for things to grow.

Even with a small plot supplemented by potted plants you seriously have to plan when and what to plant to be able to eat from it year round.

Reaction score
Now I am hungry after reading this post. I love eating different salad greens. I tend to want more fruits than vegetables, but I seem to have more veggies in my garden. I would love to get more fruit in my yard!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
LOL, @MindyT, I can relate. I love fruit, but watching how long it takes to get flowers on my blueberry bush, seeing half of them beat off by the rain of a heavy storm, waiting for berries to form and grow, and them waiting what seems like forever for them to change color, I can appreciate the shorter turn around for growing certain vegetables.

Oh, I forgot about trying to attract beneficial pollinators to the flowers so you can get fruit in the first place while batting the unwanted pests. The agony and the ecstasy, lol.

Reaction score
I may like both fruits and vegetables, but I like growing vegetables more than fruit. Less work because I am a very lazy person sometimes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I may like both fruits and vegetables, but I like growing vegetables more than fruit. Less work because I am a very lazy person sometimes.

Annette, you think that it's less work to grow vegetables? Do you only grow perenial vegetables? I can't see how seasonal plants could be less work than growing fruit when fruit plants tend to be perennial. What do you know that the rest of us don't?

Reaction score
I don't think it's less work to grow vegetables I jus like to pretend sometimes that it is. I don't grow perenial plants, but I do grow seasonal vegetables. I am a lazy person, but when it comes to being out in the garden I don't feel lazy at all if I am not making sense I'm sorry.

Ask a Question