Weird needley-looking houseplant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all --

I picked up this 2" plant at a local nursery about two weeks ago (I live in FL -- not sure if that helps/matters), and it was labelled "assorted houseplant." I have scoured the internet to try and ID this thing but the only plants that keep coming up are Norfolk Pine and an Asparagus fern, which this little guy just doesn't seem to match the pictures of. Could it be a Chinese Ming fern?

I am afraid of killing it since I don't know what it is and therefore how to properly care for it. It's beginning to turn yellow now and I'm not sure if it's due to over-watering, under-watering, or lack of light. It's not been in direct sunlight at all and is still in the grow-pot it came in.

Also -- are those random shoots that are much taller than the plant a part of it, or another species that snuck in there?

Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• unknownplant_1.jpg
    unknownplant_1.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 132
  • unknownplant_2.jpg
    unknownplant_2.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 145

Twigs

Nature Hobbyist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone8
Country
United States
Not sure what it is, but it looks like the old air ferns from the 70’s/80’s. But those didn’t need dirt.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a young Asparagus plant, but it is not Asparagus aethiopicus 'Sprengeri' (syns: A. densiflorus 'Sprengeri', A. sprengeri).
Among commonly cultivated Asparagus species, the cladode (leaf-like stems) shape and arrangement appears most similar to Asparagus retroflexus, but more information is needed.

Ask a Question