Weed Controling Vinegar

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I have heard of that vinegar but from what I understand, it is not the vinegar that we use on the table. Vinegar is acid, nitric acid? That weed killer is another kind of acid similar to vinegar. Some farmers here are using that vinegar but in small doses only, not for commercial quantity because a farmer said that it is for testing purposes only... so expensive for now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have heard of that vinegar but from what I understand, it is not the vinegar that we use on the table. Vinegar is acid, nitric acid? That weed killer is another kind of acid similar to vinegar. Some farmers here are using that vinegar but in small doses only, not for commercial quantity because a farmer said that it is for testing purposes only... so expensive for now.
Acetic acid is vinegar. Nitric acid is used in rocket fuel and explosives. Vinegar is often used as a weed killer. Table vinegar is the most commonly used and is 5%. Next is pickling vinegar which is about 11% and then there is horticultural vinegar which is 20%. The stronger it is the better it is and the more it costs

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Maybe it can be useful than most chemicals. This will make us avoid consuming chemicals previously sprayed on vegetables and plants. Most of these chemicals are also harmful to the environment. Chemicals can also end up into fish ponds thereby killing fish.

Reaction score
I am really amazed that this works. I love the idea of using anything natural. Weeds are a big problem with trying to grow a garden. I use removing weed as an opportunity for me to get my exercise. I love gardening and staying fit so I try not to look at the weeds as a problem.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been using vinegar to kill weeds for sometime now, I follow the vinegar up with some boiling hot water to help the weed dye faster.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
You CANNOT just dump a bunch of citrus peels into water and make vinegar. Making vinegar is a drawn out fermentation process starting with the addition of brewers yeast to liquid citrus juice. The brewers yeast converts the sugar in the juice into alcohol. Free bacteria then converts the alcohol into acetic acid. The only thing citrus peels do is contain a chemical named Limonene, of which citrus oil such as Orange oil is derived. An no, you cannot dump a bunch of lemon peels into water and make Lemon oil nor can you do it with oranges either. Limonene is extracted from the citrus peels by a complicated steam distillation process. And no, you cannot boil a bucket of water with citrus peels in it and make citrus oil with it either
A number of fruit have naturally occurring yeasts.
That's how wine was made prior to understanding of yeast fermentation process.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A number of fruit have naturally occurring yeasts.
That's how wine was made prior to understanding of yeast fermentation process.
Very true, but the vinegar from that process and the vinegars today are very different and I seriously doubt that it would have the same plant killing properties. If I can ever wait long enough for my wine to turn to vinegar I'll try it

Ask a Question