is this milkweed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've been looking around for some wild milkweed.. I was wondering if that's what this is?
IMG_20180721_153746.jpg
IMG_20180721_153738.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180721_152841.jpg
    IMG_20180721_152841.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 260

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been looking around for some wild milkweed.. I was wondering if that's what this is?View attachment 41332 View attachment 41333

It's not milkweed. It looks like Ironweed, which is a popular nectar source for butterflies. It looks like those Common Buckeyes really appreciate it.

Try not to take milkweed or any plants from the wild. Most local garden centers sell at least a couple species of milkweed. Asclepias tuberosa and Asclepias incarnata are the most commonly sold. You can also buy seed packets for cheap online. Scatter the seeds on bare soil in winter and they should have no problem growing in spring.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My Asclepias tuberosa. Bought a packet of seeds and then a plant and collected seeds. This one flowering now is from the old plant from last year.

SAM_1057.JPG
SAM_1058.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Shucks.. oh well.. hey, does anyone know were I could get a milkweed plant? Id buy seeds but they sound a bit tough to germinate

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Shucks.. oh well.. hey, does anyone know were I could get a milkweed plant? Id buy seeds but they sound a bit tough to germinate

As I said, all you really need to do for milkweed seeds is scatter them on bare soil in winter.

As far as plants, check your local nurseries. you can go to Prairie Moon Nursery's website for seeds or bare root plants, too.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Not at all. If I can do it, you can surely do it. Normal procedure and they are pretty tough. I planted them everywhere in my garden and this year, after a prolonged snow here, even those I sowed the seeds myself have come back. Make sure you can fresh seeds. If you buy a cheap plant now, you can get seeds this year. It's fun as they have a feathery tail tagged to the seeds and it feels silky!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yea I'm sure I can get one or more if I REALLY try.. but I was hoping to just find one! You know... Personal goal, (sorry JBtheexplorer but I'm not one of those) :] thanks for all the help though, I think I'll try ordering some from Amazon

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I would go for for a real plant. I paid £3.33 for mine.Things are cheaper on Fleabay than Amazon.

Ask a Question