Milkweed are paying big dividends.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is my third year growing milkweed for the monarchs. To my surprise this is the first year getting first generation monarchs in my gardens. Usually they show up around the second week of August. So to say I'm excited is quite the understatement.
DSC_0087.JPG
DSC_0090.JPG
DSC_0063.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've seen fewer Monarch numbers so far in my native garden. It could be my lack of Meadow Blazing Star this year. Last year, they were all over it. It didn't make it through winter. A couple days ago, I did have two females laying eggs all over my butterflyweed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Here's a site where you can find which ones are local to your area. Click on the 'locate milkweed' tab, then click on your state. You'll have better luck growing what's local to your area. The one exception that I grow here on LI is Tropical milkweed. It's a fast grower and the cats love it. Once you grow it you will have seeds forever.

http://www.growmilkweedplants.com/

Ask a Question