Common/Swamp Milkweed Germination

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm growing some common milkweed plants this year, from seed. From what I've read, it can be a little tricky to cause the seeds to germinate, unlike the tropical varieties, the common/swamp species require a process of vernalization. http://monarchwatch.org/milkweed/prop.htm

And even then, the link above says that to increase the chance of germination, one should use some type of physical abrasive method to break down the seed coat.

Curious if anyone has found a tried and true method for causing the common/swamp milkweed seed to germinate?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You can also scarify them using tweezers and a exacto knife. Just a slight scrape is all that is needed. You say you have "common/swamp milkweed seeds" Common milkweed 'Asclepias syriaca' is not native and will not grow in your area. Swamp milkweed 'Asclepias Incarnata' is native to your area, so make sure you know what type of seeds you have before planting. Here is a link to what you should/can grow in Florida.
http://www.sharonsflorida.com/milkweeds_native_to_florida.htm

To answer your last question; Just about all milkweeds have a low germination survival rate. I would plant double the rate of which you actually want to plant. If you get a high germination rate, you can then give some away, which will help tremendously in helping the monarchs population grow.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm growing some common milkweed plants this year, from seed. From what I've read, it can be a little tricky to cause the seeds to germinate, unlike the tropical varieties, the common/swamp species require a process of vernalization. http://monarchwatch.org/milkweed/prop.htm

And even then, the link above says that to increase the chance of germination, one should use some type of physical abrasive method to break down the seed coat.

Curious if anyone has found a tried and true method for causing the common/swamp milkweed seed to germinate?

With those two milkweed species, I've always scattered the seeds outdoors in winter, and it's worked well, especially with Common Milkweed.
I've also used the wet paper towel in plastic bag method with a different milkweed specie, Asclepias tuberosa, and I've gotten a near 100% germination rate by using that method. I have never scarified any milkweed seeds.

As @LIcenter said, Common Milkweed is not native to your area. However, that doesn't mean it won't grow and thrive there. You could also try A.tuberosa "Orange Milkweed", if you don't already grow it. It's native to most of Florida and is my favorite member of the milkweed family along with Swamp Milkweed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You can also scarify them using tweezers and a exacto knife. Just a slight scrape is all that is needed. You say you have "common/swamp milkweed seeds" Common milkweed 'Asclepias syriaca' is not native and will not grow in your area. Swamp milkweed 'Asclepias Incarnata' is native to your area, so make sure you know what type of seeds you have before planting. Here is a link to what you should/can grow in Florida.
http://www.sharonsflorida.com/milkweeds_native_to_florida.htm

To answer your last question; Just about all milkweeds have a low germination survival rate. I would plant double the rate of which you actually want to plant. If you get a high germination rate, you can then give some away, which will help tremendously in helping the monarchs population grow.
Yeap, you're absolutely right. Here's the reason for my confusion. Last year I bought a pack of Swamp milkweed and planted them, but after planting them I noticed the special germination procedures that should be followed. Surprise, surprise they never germinated, but I know where I planted them, so I'm hoping to see them this year, but not holding my breath.

Just the other day I went and bought another pack of Swamp milkweed seeds from the same nursery, but as I was going over the special germination process (and writing this thread at the same time) I noticed that I had Common Milkweed, but thought they were the Swamp variety (I don't know how I made that mistake). But I found that the germination process is about the same, unlike the tropical varieties, which I'm trying to phase out of my yard, in favor of more local varieties.

Thanks for the site you linked above, a great source of information on milkweeds and I'll use it to look for more varieties that would fit into my yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
With those two milkweed species, I've always scattered the seeds outdoors in winter, and it's worked well, especially with Common Milkweed.
I've also used the wet paper towel in plastic bag method with a different milkweed specie, Asclepias tuberosa, and I've gotten a near 100% germination rate by using that method. I have never scarified any milkweed seeds.

As @LIcenter said, Common Milkweed is not native to your area. However, that doesn't mean it won't grow and thrive there. You could also try A.tuberosa "Orange Milkweed", if you don't already grow it. It's native to most of Florida and is my favorite member of the milkweed family along with Swamp Milkweed.
That's exactly the method I decided to go with and they are currently in the refrigerator. We'll see, I'll be planting them in about a month from now.

BTW, I got about four caterpillars feeding on my current batch of milkweeds and one of them left yesterday to find a place to form its chrysalis.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's exactly the method I decided to go with and they are currently in the refrigerator. We'll see, I'll be planting them in about a month from now.

BTW, I got about four caterpillars feeding on my current batch of milkweeds and one of them left yesterday to find a place to form its chrysalis.
Well, it's been a week, about three to go before I attempt to sow the common milkweed seeds. However, I still have quite a few of the tropical milkweed plants and they get eggs laid on them virtually everyday -- lots of monarchs around now. In the last month I've seen three caterpillars walk off to form their chrysalis, the last one being yesterday and it set up on my Yucca plant; a very nice guarded area.

I found this site interesting, it lists over 50 places people have found chrysalises in their garden. http://monarchbutterflygarden.net/where-to-look-for-monarch-chrysalis-garden/

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, it's been a week, about three to go before I attempt to sow the common milkweed seeds. However, I still have quite a few of the tropical milkweed plants and they get eggs laid on them virtually everyday -- lots of monarchs around now. In the last month I've seen three caterpillars walk off to form their chrysalis, the last one being yesterday and it set up on my Yucca plant; a very nice guarded area.

I found this site interesting, it lists over 50 places people have found chrysalises in their garden. http://monarchbutterflygarden.net/where-to-look-for-monarch-chrysalis-garden/

I have not yet found chrysalises in my native garden, but last year I did find a newly emerged Monarch drying it's wings. Its chrysalis was somewhere, I just never saw it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Usually under the cover of darkness the cat will search for a spot to hang. So the best time to look is early in the morning. Most of the time they will still be in the J position, which is much easier to find.
This one was hidden under my deck rail behind my trash can, which I never would have spotted if not for me scouring the area. Notice the time stamps. Both taken the same day, not six hours apart. With the weather being perfect it only took six day for it to eclose.
DSC_0016_zpsl2ke5iod.jpg
DSC_0010_zpsuripib0x.jpg
DSC_0099_zpsxppqozgd.jpg

Here's a chrysalis tucked inside a dead morning glory leaf. Again very difficult to find without looking closely. I think the total count of me actually finding them last year was ten, even though I counted well over twenty plus cats on the plants.
DSC_0105_zpsu6cyvegk.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Usually under the cover of darkness the cat will search for a spot to hang. So the best time to look is early in the morning. Most of the time they will still be in the J position, which is much easier to find.
This one was hidden under my deck rail behind my trash can, which I never would have spotted if not for me scouring the area. Notice the time stamps. Both taken the same day, not six hours apart. With the weather being perfect it only took six day for it to eclose.
DSC_0016_zpsl2ke5iod.jpg
DSC_0010_zpsuripib0x.jpg
DSC_0099_zpsxppqozgd.jpg

Here's a chrysalis tucked inside a dead morning glory leaf. Again very difficult to find without looking closely. I think the total count of me actually finding them last year was ten, even though I counted well over twenty plus cats on the plants.
DSC_0105_zpsu6cyvegk.jpg
Nice pics, I also have some pics of a caterpillar from the moment it formed into that "J" configuration, until it came out as a butterfly, all this while attached to a leaf of my hibiscus plant. I'll have to post them some time when I have more time...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My apologies. The first pic is not correct. Yes it was taken on the same day, but is in another area of the deck railing.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Usually under the cover of darkness the cat will search for a spot to hang. So the best time to look is early in the morning. Most of the time they will still be in the J position

The ones I've raised have always formed J's in the evening but have always become chrysalises during the middle of the night. I think only one time did I see a J in the morning.
I've had them eclose as quickly as 7 days or as long as 11.
Here's the only Monarch I raised in 2015.
IMG_3834 copy.jpg IMG_4075 copy.jpg IMG_4076 copy.jpg IMG_4079 copy.jpg IMG_4108 copy.jpg

In 2016, I decided to raise more. I think I ended up with 12 throughout Summer. Some people go crazy with it and raise as many as they can possibly find, but I prefer to let nature do it's thing and I just raise a few for fun and further knowledge of the creature that many, including myself, are trying to save.
IMG_1349 copy.jpg

Here's a few I released in 2016. Seeing these photos again makes me wish it was Summer. Still another 4 or 5 months before the newest generation of Monarchs return.
IMG_1375 copy.jpg

IMG_2153 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wait, what? You're actually raising monarchs?

I'm fascinated. Can you tell me a little more about the process, or point me to some links please?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wait, what? You're actually raising monarchs?

I'm fascinated. Can you tell me a little more about the process, or point me to some links please?

It's quite an easy thing. I collect the caterpillars from my milkweed plants as soon as I find them. They're usually about a half-inch to an inch long by then. Hopefully I find them before tachinid flies or wasps inject eggs into the caterpillar, because the fly/wasp larvae will eventually eat their way out of the caterpillar and kill it. It's pretty gross, actually. I've seen it happen twice. Some people collect the Monarch eggs and bring them in, because even at the egg stage, predators are looking for them, but I personally find it very difficult to change milkweed leaves when the caterpillars first hatch, because they're so tiny and hard to see.

Then, all I do is provide fresh milkweed leaves constantly and clean their poop out constantly. They eat and poop more than you'd expect. They can finish off a large milkweed leaf in no time, especially as they get bigger. I never let them run out of food, usually exchanging old leaves for fresh leaves every two days, and I clean the poop out daily. I put paper towel on the bottom of the container so it's an easier task. That goes on for about two weeks until they decide it's time to form a chrysalis.

From that point on, they don't need any care. It's just a waiting game that can last up to another two weeks. When they emerge as butterflies, I usually give them about 4-6 hours to dry their wings before I release them. If it's late in the day, I wait until the following morning to release them. I always release them in my native garden. Sometimes they'll instantly fly away, often up into a neighbor's tree, and sometimes they'll just sit. When they don't fly away, I set them on a nectar source. Typically, they won't eat the first day anyway, but I figure at least they know where it is if they need it. Here's a few Monarchs I released that stuck around for awhile.
IMG_1392 copy2.jpg

IMG_2186 copy2.jpg

Here's a link for you if you'd like to read a little more about it.
http://www.monarchwatch.org/rear/index.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow thanks JB. I'm not sure I have enough monarch-friendly plants in my garden...But there are enormous stands of milkweed (at least two different kinds) along the river trail about 1.5 miles away. I will pay attention to baby Monarch activity there this spring.

I love the idea of making a sanctuary for them.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love the idea of making a sanctuary for them.

My yard is practically a Monarch sanctuary at this point, though the gardens are really for all wildlife species. Even with my gardens still maturing, I get a lot of Monarch and Monarch caterpillar activity.

I'm sure I've probably posted this on other topics as well, but for those interested...

Meadow Blazing Star (Liatris ligulistylis) is the absolute best Monarch Butterfly attractor. It's a magnet. Nothing else comes close. (but Purple Coneflower and New England Aster also top choices for Monarchs)
IMG_0954 copy2.jpg

and of course Milkweed is a necessity. Various milkweed species like Swamp Milkweed and Orange Milkweed will do. The butterflies will drink nectar and lay eggs.
IMG_1917 copy.jpg IMG_0821 copy2.jpg IMG_0196 copy.jpg

The combination of all those species has greatly increased Monarch Butterfly traffic in my yard, and with Meadow Blazing Star, some choose to stay for hours and hours.

Ask a Question