Weather

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I can't believe it. I typed and clicked Post Reply HALF AN HOUR TO 45 MINUTES AGO, it never got posted. Then I clicked again, 2 or them came up.. Sorry for the groundhog day experience.

No problem at all alp; I thought you'd developed a bit of a stammer because your were shivering. :):):)

It took quite a while to clear the car windows of frost first thing this morning; the car was reading 0C so the temperature is plummeting and the gas/electric companies are happy.

3 supermarkets and back home by 8:15 this morning I reckon is pretty good.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Haha! Very funny. Now I can't even see my avatar. But don't moan, at least I have a reply box for me to type in.

Yes, Colin, you can buy a thermal coat for your car or build one with polycarbonate so that the temperature won't change so drastically. Once our wind screen cracked even inside my dilapidated garage. I wish I had the garage rebuilt rather than the lean to.. Just heard gun shots outside ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Haha! Very funny. Now I can't even see my avatar. But don't moan, at least I have a reply box for me to type in.

Yes, Colin, you can buy a thermal coat for your car or build a shed or carpot with polycarbonate so that the temperature won't change so drastically. Once our wind screen cracked even inside my dilapidated garage. I wish I had the garage rebuilt rather than the lean to.. Just heard gun shots outside ..

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Logan. Until June 2016 for the last 40 years I too always garaged our car; Bron and I ran small cars for many years and our previous car a Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo only just fitted into our garage due to the number of machines and benches; please see the pictures below and kindly note the white line painted on the garage floor; space was so tight I was always worried about backing into a machine so came up with the idea of adding the white line; what I did was to back the car in and mark the outside of both front and rear tyres on the floor; pull the car out run two lengths of masking tape; paint the line in white emulsion add a cross line as a stop reference and remove the tape. To back the car in lower the drivers window stick my head out and simply run the car with the tyres just touching the line stopping at the cross line; it never ever failed. Due to all the machinery and tooling in the garage I then had lots of problems keeping everything dry; I have a personal companion in Blackie my affectionate pet black cloud that delights in giving me and the car a soaking at every opportunity; I became absolutely fed up of having to wash and dry the car sometimes seven days a week before putting the car away. All our cars are brand new and I've always looked after them but in June 2016 we traded the Monte in and bought a bigger Yeti; I said enough is enough and the Yeti sleeps out; this now has the benefit that the garage has been converted into a full time workshop allowing me to work in peace without the hourly chore of washing and drying the car each day. I don't like the car being frozen or snowed on but it sure saves me many hours frustration every year; I have a screen plastic scraper and it takes about five minutes to remove frost/snow from all the car windows; I never ever drive unless the car windows are clear; in 1970 I ended up with fractures to my legs because an idiot was driving in a frozen up car not seeing where he was driving.

I hope the gunshots don't mean trouble for you alp.

Above at the link alp is something I've been considering to house the car but I'd design and make my own; I could have it open at the rear against the garage doors.

OK so I'm a chatterbox. :);):)

Kind regards, Colin.

New saw bench April 2017 (50).JPG

Tight squeeze 1..JPG

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Logan. Until June 2016 for the last 40 years I too always garaged our car; Bron and I ran small cars for many years and our previous car a Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo only just fitted into our garage due to the number of machines and benches; please see the pictures below and kindly note the white line painted on the garage floor; space was so tight I was always worried about backing into a machine so came up with the idea of adding the white line; what I did was to back the car in and mark the outside of both front and rear tyres on the floor; pull the car out run two lengths of masking tape; paint the line in white emulsion add a cross line as a stop reference and remove the tape. To back the car in lower the drivers window stick my head out and simply run the car with the tyres just touching the line stopping at the cross line; it never ever failed. Due to all the machinery and tooling in the garage I then had lots of problems keeping everything dry; I have a personal companion in Blackie my affectionate pet black cloud that delights in giving me and the car a soaking at every opportunity; I became absolutely fed up of having to wash and dry the car sometimes seven days a week before putting the car away. All our cars are brand new and I've always looked after them but in June 2016 we traded the Monte in and bought a bigger Yeti; I said enough is enough and the Yeti sleeps out; this now has the benefit that the garage has been converted into a full time workshop allowing me to work in peace without the hourly chore of washing and drying the car each day. I don't like the car being frozen or snowed on but it sure saves me many hours frustration every year; I have a screen plastic scraper and it takes about five minutes to remove frost/snow from all the car windows; I never ever drive unless the car windows are clear; in 1970 I ended up with fractures to my legs because an idiot was driving in a frozen up car not seeing where he was driving.

I hope the gunshots don't mean trouble for you alp.

Above at the link alp is something I've been considering to house the car but I'd design and make my own; I could have it open at the rear against the garage doors.

OK so I'm a chatterbox. :);):)

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 28966

View attachment 28967
:):)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

@Colin that's a great design, but if you re design so the birds can't get in it. Make a opening with a hinged door on the top so the squirrels can open it and it closes after they take head out,it would be better.:)

Four squirrels whizzing around just now Logan and I've managed a few pictures trying my new Sony compact camera as seen below. The squirrels reach in select a peanut then scoff it; this is ongoing during daylight hours so I'm not surprised I buy two big bags of peanuts twice weekly whilst shopping.

We love to watch our wildlife. (y)

I hope you've avoided storm damage MoonShadows because your forecast sounded grim. :(

Kind regards, Colin.

Little friends (1).JPG
Little friends (2).JPG
Little friends (3).JPG

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Four squirrels whizzing around just now Logan and I've managed a few pictures trying my new Sony compact camera as seen below. The squirrels reach in select a peanut then scoff it; this is ongoing during daylight hours so I'm not surprised I buy two big bags of peanuts twice weekly whilst shopping.

We love to watch our wildlife. (y)

I hope you've avoided storm damage MoonShadows because your forecast sounded grim. :(

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 28970 View attachment 28971 View attachment 28972
@Colin they look cute. We don't have a lot of squirrels, there's a copice near by. But get 1 in the winter. Had to buy squirrel proof feeders. Don't put out nuts any more, the birds prefer the seed.
IMG_20171030_121236.jpg

IMG_20171030_121251.jpg

Hubby replaced the table bit,it was rotten. He made it last winter. Don't get starlings anymore,so i could put other things out. But the pigeons are a bit of a problem, but can't do anything about them. I do make my own bird cake if I've got any fat to get rid of.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Colin I am amazed you could park your car in. You had so many tools and equipment ... It's nice to have a garage.

Love the video. Have never seen such a contraption though ..

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp; yes the car cover really is something else. We have a 22' x 11' garage beneath the bungalow and there is storage all under the bungalow for my raw materials and items I seldom use but ideally I could fill a big warehouse if I had a warehouse. :)

I'm pretty sure us Brits are obsessed with our weather but then it's not every country that can have just about every kind of weather thrown at it in a single day? :(

No frost here this morning; yesterday at this time 0C this morning 9C I just wear my Parka the year round.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I reckon the wonderful contraption can go wrong very easily.. too many connective panes .. But it's an artform.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

That's a lovely bird table Logan you must have some posh birds feeding from it. ;) Bron and I tried putting out bird seeds but up here I think our birds must want something rather more substantial like the peanuts.

The Gazebox as you rightly say alp is a nice artform. I'm pretty sure they are robust to withstand the climate having been thoroughly tested by the manufacturer and with prices starting from over $7,000 they are reassuringly expensive but cheaper than having a garage built and I don't think planning nor building regulations are required other than the standard regulations regarding building near a roadside? It's to be hoped they aren't constructed with a frame made of the same metal the old Italian cars used to be made of; the Alfa Sud used to rust as whilst it was being looked at?

Here's a lovely video; please note the car reg no.

I could make a similar design using welded steel tubing and polycarbonate sheeting to fit our driveway at a much less cost and is something I have considered. I've got the metal cutting bandsaw and industrial oil filled arc welder also there is a steel stockholder I deal with and the steel prices are very low indeed; I'm well set up for such a project and I think I'll revisit it once I get on top of the gardens. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question