Weather

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

WOW it's been like high summer over the last couple of days after a cold morning start; peaked at 25C today and no Gale for a change. Just wonderful.:):):)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
181011100517-hurricane-michael-damage-chooper-shot-1-large-169.jpg

We say goodbye and good riddance to the storm system called Michael as it leaves the east coast and is projected to approach Europe in a few days.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've now got wind and rain but nothing like that suffered in America; it's also very dark and gloomy but will be even worse at the end of this month when we alter the clocks again. For once I'm not moaning because we've enjoyed a good summer this year the first good summer for many years; hopefully we'll have a severe winter then next year another good summer; I can dream on. :):D

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please hang on to your snow johnny. (y):)

It's turning a lot cooler here each morning but once the sun comes up it's just beautiful; we've enjoyed a very rare long hot summer this year the first like this in many years and even now late October its sunnier and warmer than its been in midsummer previous years.

A couple of days ago 8 Potentilla's arrived and I put these straight into the top of the garden; yesterday we bought more ground cover conifers and put these in; dinner time today 6 Sky Rocket conifers arrived and I've planted these; with the weather being so wonderful I then popped out to buy petrol then dragged the rotavator to the top of the garden and had a very pleasant session rotavating; the soil was perfect and having already gone over about five times with the rotavator most of the stones and roots are now removed so only one jam with a small stone; the soil looks perfect and if I step on it I sink well in its so soft. If only every day could be like today but I feel your snow could be on its way to visit us johnny in the near future.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hit the ground running this morning; after breakfast I wandered up the mountain to trim our laurels using my cordless 18V Makita hedge trimmer. Having bagged up the waste next job was to rake over the rotavated soil so now it's all ready for winter. All the while I was up the garden I had a little friend with me; Robin seems to like my company moving around keeping near me and at one point Robin was only about a foot away staring and chirping at me; Robin even let me take his picture seen below.

The rotovator goes down to about a full spade depth and does a top class job; certainly a great deal easier than breaking my back using the spade.

I finished off by planting another 60 crocus these being a free gift with the conifers so we can look forward to some colour; daffodils; crocus and wallflowers; the free begonia's I planted have bloomed beautifully and are still in bloom.

Kind regards, Colin.

Garden_001.JPG

I'm now making progress; to the top right I've planted Potentilla's and Sky Rocket conifers to the left two rows of Primroses; at the far end two new ground cover conifers have gone in; eventually I want to fill the entire area with ground cover.

Garden_002.JPG

The Hyundai rotavator does a brilliant job; all this area was grass and I dug over by hand using a spade to turn the grass under leaving it over winter; the first time I tried to use the new rotavator the ground was much too wet and the grass sods and millions of roots together with a whole lot of stone proved too much for the rotavator quickly jamming the tines.
The second attempt weeks later was more successful but incredibly hard work trying to control the rotavator as it bounced up and down churning up the sods and stones; each time I used the rotavator though it started to become more of a pleasure than a pain; now the sods are broken up and the roots and stones removed rotavating is much quicker and much easier than spade digging; our gardens slope very steeply it being a valley side.

Garden_003.JPG

My little happy friend Robin posing for the camera.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We had our first frost of the year last night. Right on schedule. Hopefully that will bring some fall color to our trees.
Last night wasn't our first frost but last nights was the one that killed back lots of plants. Now for the leave to fall before the snow comes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Nice days still. Back to my morning bike rides along the river. I made friends with a new white breasted nuthatch, they rarely will feed from my hand but this fella is not shy at all.
This short video says they often feed from hand but in my experience that's not so. They prefer to be ground or table fed.lol

Ask a Question