Watermelon Growing Question

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried some watermelon plants in 20 gallon pots last year and they were not a success. The rooting system was too constrained. I'd like to try a few watermelon plants again this year, but don't want to devote half of a 12 foot x 6 foot garden to 4 watermelon plants

I understand that watermelons need their space, however is it the rooting system that takes up more space or the vine system? I'm thinking about planting one watermelon plant in each of the 4 corners and letting the vines sprawl out into the yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I grow 4-5 watermelon plants in a 5'x2.5' oval galvanized bed that is flush with the surface. The size might not be the issue it might be the number of plants.

Watermelons are heavy feeders and you need to make sure they are always full. To be honest I dont think you can add to much organic fertilizer. I did about 18 cups of varies ferts in that small bed. They require plenty of N since it is a vine that should grow and produce until frost. Then during the growing season. I add synthetic ferts to have them produce abundantly. This year I am working on expanding my growing area for the WMs. Same beds just moving the deer neeting outward more.

Since spraying copper they make it until frost every year. However, some years I get way to many melons and some years not as many. I didn't add the synthetic as much as I should have during the growing season so I didnt get no where near as many as I did I 2022.

MOD

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...I understand that watermelons need their space, however is it the rooting system that takes up more space or the vine system? I'm thinking about planting one watermelon plant in each of the 4 corners and letting the vines sprawl out into the yard.
It's both. You have a good plan. Don't transplant unless absolutely necessary and you will be ahead of the game. Watermelon does not transplant well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I understand that watermelons need their space, however is it the rooting system that takes up more space or the vine system?
Here is a pic of my WM patch in the galvanized bed 5'x2.5' that is more or less flush with the ground. I dont think the root system is as large as the vines. At the end of the year when I pull them. It's not that munch. The bed is never over stuffed.

One pics shows after a frost. Tree spacing is 12'. There are 4 trees 1 is covered.

MOD

Attachments

• 20221008_100350.jpg
    20221008_100350.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220802_195339.jpg
    20220802_195339.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 5

Ask a Question