Watermelon not growing

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted a watermelon plant around the middle of a summer in a pot. (Yes I know. I’m growing watermelon in a pot. I’m going to transplant it soon.) The flowers formed and a watermelon came. It’s about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. But here’s the thing: it’s been exactly that size for over a month! I’ve been waiting for a delicious homegrown watermelon, and the package says it should be a “12 lb round melon”. It’s not showing any signs of dying or anything, it just seems to be growing too slow, since it already passed its estimated harvest date. I had to move it inside for the winter because it’s growing so slow. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 155

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As with your corn you were late planting this. Watermelons are annuals so in autumn slow down and then die. The fruit will get no bigger. Start again next next year and get the plant in the ground as they are vigorous and need plenty of food and water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And the plant is starving. See how yellow many of the leaves are? Watermelons need full sun and very warm weather and lots of room. Also it appears that the plant has some type of fungal disease on some of the leaves. Throw the plant away and do not compost it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
As with your corn you were late planting this. Watermelons are annuals so in autumn slow down and then die. The fruit will get no bigger. Start again next next year and get the plant in the ground as they are vigorous and need plenty of food and water.
Well, my watermelon is indoors, soooo I don’t think the snow will be a problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
And the plant is starving. See how yellow many of the leaves are? Watermelons need full sun and very warm weather and lots of room. Also it appears that the plant has some type of fungal disease on some of the leaves. Throw the plant away and do not compost it.
That’s true! It’s very cool in the room I have it. Maybe I could move it somewhere. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That’s true! It’s very cool in the room I have it. Maybe I could move it somewhere. Thanks!
IT IS NOT GOING TO GROW. It is diseased and you cannot provide enough light indoors for a watermelon plant. The plant is also stunted. And yes, you can move it. To the garbage can

Reaction score
Country
United States
As I mentioned, I planted this towards the middle of summer. The only reason i had to bring it inside was because of the slow growth. It’s harvest date was in the end of September.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yep, the watermelon around here is started well after corn planting and both are well before end of May. Both need very hot very long days of full sun.

Ask a Question