Has anyone had bi-sexual and/or hermaphrodite Watermelon flowers on their plants?

Zig

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is from a mature seed I found in a store bought locally grown seedless watermelon, of which I found 2 seeds over the summer from 2 different watermelons of the same source. One seed grew a plant that grows vigorously and has produced 5 harvested melons at 14 pounds each and 5 more growing now, it has produced regular looking male and female flowers which I have pollinated with a Sugar Baby vine growing nearby. Now the second seed I found is a different story, it produced 1 misshapen personal sized watermelon that I harvested too early (I think) 2 months ago and now suddenly it's been producing new flowers that are a mix of male, bi, and herm. I've got 4 fruits on it now that seem to be taking and I've been doing lots and lots of research on plant breeding and genetics but I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience in this area? Both plants produce yellow fleshed fruits filled with mature seeds even though they were taken from red fleshed seedless watermelons. I currently have 1 of the seeds from the more prolific one growing and has it's first melon hand pollinated 2 days ago so I'm hoping to see what the F3 generation looks like on that one.

Ask a Question