Has anyone saved sunflower seeds for human consumption?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If so, any tips?

I've got as far as harvesting the seeds - now what?

I'm considering two options - making sunflower seed butter, and using them to sprinkle on breads, cereal etc.

I guess my main issue is how do I make sure there are no creepy crawlies lurking?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I grew sunflowers my wife would roast the seeds and then freeze them. The difficult part is hulling them. If you plan to make "butter" you will need jillions of seeds. We used them to just snack on and once in awhile she would hull a bunch of them and put them into a little food processor and use the chopped up seeds on fresh hamburger buns she made like with sesame seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you spread them out most creepy crawlies will creep and crawl out, not that I would expect many in sunflower seeds, they grow so close. Failing that it's like my biologist Dad used to say "Insects are an excellent source of protein, don't make a fuss!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you spread them out most creepy crawlies will creep and crawl out, not that I would expect many in sunflower seeds, they grow so close. Failing that it's like my biologist Dad used to say "Insects are an excellent source of protein, don't make a fuss!"
Have you seen the numerous youtube videos demonstrating the number of bugs in strawberries etc? They soak them in salt water and all the bugs float to the top - even in shop bought. I always thought it bogus, but I saw a fact check the other day saying it's true, and that even commercial growers have no way of eliminating them, but reassure people it's completely harmless!!

I'd rather not know I'm eating bugs though!!!

Ask a Question