Has anyone used molasses and milk to repair lawn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has anyone had results using milk as a fungicide on San Agustine grass for brown patch? I also have been using molasses to kill grubs.
I have tried using fungicides and grub granules with no results so started reading up on other ways to control these problems

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Has anyone had results using milk as a fungicide on San Agustine grass for brown patch? I also have been using molasses to kill grubs.
I have tried using fungicides and grub granules with no results so started reading up on other ways to control these problems
I have used milk to fight fungus with limited success. Whole ground (horticultural) cornmeal works much much better. It does not do anything for the grass but it is a favorite growing medium for another beneficial fungus called Trichoderma. Trichoderma fungus literally eats harmful fungi such as the Brown Spot fungus. As far as molasses and grubs are concerned, molasses will do nothing about them. All molasses is, is carbohydrates and soil microbes feed on the carbohydrates and multiply their numbers which is an excellent thing. There may be soil microbes that attack grubs but I don't know of any. The absolute best remedy for grubs are beneficial nematodes, the kind that come on the little blue sponge one buys at a nursery. This time of year the grubs are full grown and are not feeding on the grass roots. Only the small young grubs do the damage. When you see June Bugs in the spring that is the time to apply the nematodes. Beneficial nematodes also control or eliminate most all soil born pests from fleas to earwigs to ants etc. but do not harm earthworms. One applies the cornmeal at regular intervals. Molasses should also be used on a regular basis.

Brown spot fungus starts by having too much or in rare cases too little nitrogen in the soil. Synthetic fertilizers are the main culprit that allows Brown Spot to get started. Very few cases of BS are in lawns fertilized with only organic fertilizers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I put old milk on moss. I would not use it generally at the cost. I will use molasses in water, but mainly early in the year as cool temps keep the composting effect down. For me to fertilize in the heat invites not only fungi but also insects of an undesirable nature.

Ask a Question