Watermelon fruiting issues

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I'm growing golden midget watermelon plants and am having trouble getting fruit to grow. The plants themselves have been doing extremely well - big long vines, lots of health green foliage, etc. The plants started putting out flowers about 6 days ago, with tons of male flowers and a couple female flowers each day, and I've been hand-pollinating them. For the first few flowers I used a q-tip to collect pollen from 1-3 male flowers and gently brush it on the stigma of the female flowers. At first it seemed to work - the base of the female flower would start to swell and grow - but after a day or two it would start turning yellow, stop growing, and eventually turn brown and die. I figured it was just inadequate pollination, so I started pollinating with the male flowers directly instead of using the q-tip, but the same thing happened. I tried using 3-4 male flowers instead of just 1-2 and really loading the females up with pollen, but that hasn't worked either. There was one fruit that was actually growing quite well - got to about 1.5 inches long - but now that too is starting to yellow and die.

Some potential issues that I've considered are:
-Not enough water: this is definitely not an issue. the plants get a deep watering every other day and are well-mulched with pine straw
-Too much water: It has been very hot and sunny here (southeastern US) and my soil is sandy and well-draining, so I don't think this is an issue
-Disease: the foliage, vines, and flowers are extremely healthy looking, so I don't think this is the issue, but I could be wrong
-Inadequate fertilization: I've never done a soil test, but the soil I used was a 3 part mix of aged manure, leaf compost, and Eastern NC native topsoil that I got from a local nursery. I think it's pretty rich. I also dressed the plants with Dr. Earth's fruit tree fertilizer (5-5-2) about 3 weeks ago.
-Poor pollination technique: Doubt this is it either, since the flowers are getting lots of pollen on them. Also, hand-pollinating seems pretty hard to screw up...
-Heat: It's been getting into the mid 90s during the day here. Unsure if that is an issue though

I am getting really desperate. I am new to gardening and have been really, really excited about growing my own watermelons, but now I'm afraid I won't even get a single fruit out of my 7 plants. Any help would be appreciated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If your daytime temperatures are above 93F the viability of the pollen is greatly reduced and the pollen tube is also affected. The pollen does not mature enough to be able to successfully set fruit. Also, if the humidity is above 65% the pollen becomes sticky or tacky and unable to perform its role.

Ask a Question