Warzone Lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just moved and the lawn is in an absolute state. Basically it's moss patched with weeds. Looks green, but it's the moss. I have pictures though I am not sure I can post pictures here?
Anyway if I wanted to have the garden go back to grass, what's the process? Kill the weed or moss first? If I kill the moss I am fairly confident the entire backyard will go back to exposed soil...

The backyard is also not in a very sunny location despite its size, so advice is welcome! What are the steps? In what order? Considering it's January, what's my timeline gonna look like?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First thing that hit me was you said it was all moss, which means very little sun. If you want grass, you are going to need more direct sunlight in that area. Do you live in a valley or something that can not get sun or because of shade from a forest or something?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks YumYum -- here are the pictures.

The backyard faces SW and doesn't get a lot of sun the first half of the day due to its shape and surrounding buildings.

Do I get rid of the moss first, leaving basically just exposed soil if I rake it, or do I use products? Do I attack the weeds first or do I attack the moss first? When do I seed?

Attachments

• IMG_9777.jpeg
    IMG_9777.jpeg
    517.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9776.jpeg
    IMG_9776.jpeg
    509.3 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mine was similar when I moved in. Come Spring I used a product that had moss killer, fertiliser and grass seed mix, sorry I can't remember the name, something in the nature of patch repair. After a few weeks I started raking, giving the seed a bit of time to get established. Got a mechanical electric rake on offer, and now after a couple of years it is looking pretty good. The first lot I raked out was almost all moss, and that seems not to want to decay, I still have a couple of bags, use it in the bottom of pots and stuff like that where water conduction is wanted. The later stuff comes 50-50 grass and moss and composts much better. Now I will mow several times and rake occasionally to keep the moss held back.
When we moved in the Estate agent said "Feel that lovely soft grass", The missus looked down and said "No it's not, it's moss." That shut his guff up a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks like plenty of sun to grow some kind of shade loving grass to me. I see weeds indicative of the pH level being too low. Test your soils pH first and adjust.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I suggest testing 12x12" areas with your perspective grass. The plants can express their happiness or lack thereof before you waste resources on speculative expenses.

Reaction score
Country
France
Well well i think i may end up being very unpopular here,
First things first, Sort the cause out before the solution,
Moss is caused by poor drainage and very damp conditions plus the lack of sun can come into the facts,
I myself have in every home we bought had poor Gardens and the Lawn are the number one to be mistreated the most
Mainly because of ( if the lawn was anything like lucky it had the grass cut and that was about all, hence the cut would more than pull blade cut that a sharp lawn mower blade cut and this will cause moss etc to spread, plus Lawns need feeding and the use of Lime to improve the soil PH)

What to do?
Well you have two choices, The first is to know the problem, I have already said your Area is in very poor lack of drainage, you can see this not only by the Moss, But look at the type of weeds you have ? They are short rooted but wide spread roots sort of weeds and these grow on wet lands, (because the roots do not have to search for water unlike tap roots that have to go down deep in the soil for water hence these roots spread rather than dig)

If your willing to do the work yourself ??? Then you need to remove the top layer of 3inch and then turn the soil over and lime the soil and leave it for a few weeks (Feb/March ) If April is on the dry side and you can rotatory the ground a few times until you can get a nice crumble type off soil and then rake the area and roll it, and then rake a fine tillage, It is now the grass seed is sown,
Before you know it you will be seeing a little green haze (that's your reward for all the hard word) But it gets better as the grass continues growing and thickening you can now plan the garden, If you think of your garden like an Artist plans his painting of a beautiful garden !! The lawn is the back ground, Now you can learn from the mistake your previous owner did and care for the lawn by airing the grass by using a fork pressed into the Lawn in a close fork spacing to enable the drainage to happen, give the Lawn a feed, learn when to spread light sand over the lawn,
Read read & read again, you will be glad you did?
Stage two
You can lay Pre-cut turf Rolls on the Prepared area (Keep in mind how the moss took over in the first place !!!
It is no good laying fresh turf on an area that has not been sorted regarding drainage And a very good point to think of here is this climate change ? The rain scale is greater now than it has ever been, "Are you in an area with more rain than it once had ?
If you decide to use the turf method you need to be ready for the rolling out of the turf so it will have a chance to grow,
Again once the turf is down it need attention both by watering and drainage spiked to help the turf roots take and not have pools of water sitting on the turf,
Well i have been honest and i have sown many a Lawn both my own and clients and as i have said many times
gardening for me is a pleasure but it can be hard work,
The Bonus is you get all the rewards if you do it right and that """what have i done if you do not do it right"":cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Prospective? Can you get grass seed in amounts for a foot square like paint testers?
I might borrow a plug or two from a neighbor. Probably a better idea, just to see if it can even prosper. But now that you mention it, I am always seeing spilled seed at the stores. Or maybe one of those small bare patch fix it bags they have that includes compost and everything would be best.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

Just moved and the lawn is in an absolute state. Basically it's moss patched with weeds. Looks green, but it's the moss. I have pictures though I am not sure I can post pictures here?
Anyway if I wanted to have the garden go back to grass, what's the process? Kill the weed or moss first? If I kill the moss I am fairly confident the entire backyard will go back to exposed soil...

The backyard is also not in a very sunny location despite its size, so advice is welcome! What are the steps? In what order? Considering it's January, what's my timeline gonna look like?

Thanks
First thing I would do if I were you is a soil test. Moss has superficial roots that don't penetrate and indicates a highly acidic, firmly packed soil. So test to be sure, but 90% that's it because you can grow grass in semi-shade if you improve the soil.

So first loosen the soil, and next start to add soil amendments to bring the pH back to something more neutral. Be careful, do this gradually -- alkaline soil is low pH, acid is high, and it is much easier to raise pH than to lower it.

You do this by adding horticultural lime, which you buy at a garden center. Read the directions carefully. Then, mix the lime with some sharp sand (pH neutral) and some good garden soil that's a neutral pH (should say on the package, or you can call the manufacturer and ask them, but it should also be fairly neutral). Add this to your soil gradually. I used to amend the soil weekly after mowing, but of course you probably aren't mowing. So just sprinkle this fairly uniformly over your lawn area, rake if necessary. This should start retarding the moss. After a few weeks, maybe you want to try removing moss in a small area and loosening the soil, which by now should have started to improve, and seed that area. Water when needed and see what happens.

I used this method to build top soil in a barren area and over time I developed a nice lawn. But, if your shade is coming from low-hanging limbs, you need to remove some of those as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Be careful, do this gradually -- alkaline soil is low pH, acid is high, and it is much easier to raise pH than to lower it.

"Be careful, do this gradually -- alkaline soil is low pH, acid is high, and it is much easier to raise pH than to lower it."

I think you typed too fast.... want to reconsider low pH vs high pH?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Google "ph values" and get,
"As this diagram shows, pH ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. pHs less than 7 are acidic while pHs greater than 7 are alkaline (basic)."
Don't know where you did your research, but all my chemistry books agree with that.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Noons91 How about a different idea? As you have a lovely shady garden, you could make the most of the natural situation to grow ferns and hostas and fuchsias, as well as lots of other shade loving plants.
Maybe you have children to consider? A nice sandy pathway leading to a sandy area with a swing etc at the bottom of the garden would fit the bill.
Do let us all know what you decide won't you (y)

Ask a Question