Mowing Lawns Rolling and Edging off Tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

@Adventuregarsdeninguk

Please hit the like on my video to help support an independent gardener and please subscribe to my YouTube channel for lots more gardening videos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Everyone has their way of looking after their lawns and to be honest you'll be "talking to the converted" on this board for some of the time.
Regular mowing, scarifying a couple of times during the year, plus a dose of iron sulphate for moss and an occasional weed and feed. I try not to walk across it in the same places all the time, is the way I look after mine.

P1060523.JPG

The biggest pain with lawns I've found is edging. We have three feature beds and I used to have bits of York stone as edging.

P1020350.JPG

But the main border had nothing and it was hard to avoid "border creep."

So fifteen years ago I bought a lot of 4" square block paving bricks. I dug 6" deep channels with a hard edge against the lawn and filled them with hardcore. Then laid some damp fine concrete mix on top. Then laid the bricks, so the tops were level with the lawn and mortared them up the following day.

P1020451.JPG

P1010346.JPG

They were a bit "in your face" for a few weeks, but eventually weathered.
The right hand border is formed by a crazy York stone path.
I use a a Flymo Ultraglide mower which has a big fan at the back so is excellent at collecting the grass. I pass it over the bricks and the edge of the path to mostly eliminate edging.
I occasionally run a strimmer down the point where the lawn meets the path.
P1030631.JPG

This is from last year.

I've two "tree azaleas" in ceramic pots on round stepping stones at the bottom of the garden. I can move them and run the mower over the stones.

The bricks are still secure and hardly notice.

P1010227.JPG

Last edited:

Ask a Question