How tall do you let your grass grow before mowing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My boyfriend is constantly mowing the lawn. He is always asking do you think the grass is too tall? I'm always comforting him letting him know it's not too bad. How tall do you think is acceptable? How many days do you go in between mowing?

Reaction score
I'm going to be honest- my grass is fairly tall right now and I don't plan on mowing it down any time soon. I'm very lazy when it comes to my grass. To me, if the grass does not look bad, then there's really no point in me cutting it. I like the foresty look of long grass in the yard. I find it more natural looking, so long as it doesn't get out of hand. Sometimes grass will grow in awkward stages, making the grass appear chunky and missing in some areas. When my grass does this, I make sure to mow it down so that it has a chance to grow evenly and together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I try not to let it get too high - we actually live in an area where it's a housing requirement not to let it grow past a certain point where it looks scrappy. So we have to be pretty diligent with it. It's tough at this time of the year because I feel like we are literally mowing the lawn every single weekend!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
I do not like seeing an untidy lawn. When the grass gets too high it looks unsightly. I prefer to see a nicely mowed lawn, so as soon as it gets to that unsightly stage, we get it mowed. In the rainy season, the weeds start to grow back up rather quickly, so it needs to be mowed more often then. We have been having a dry spell for the past 5 months, so the lawn has not been showing that many weeds, but the rainy season is beginning to come in now, so we should be mowing our lawn on a more regular basis during this time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's not healthy for the lawn if you cut more than two inches of growth at a time. Yes as the weather warms let it grow a little taller, but adjust your mower accordingly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My boyfriend is constantly mowing the lawn. He is always asking do you think the grass is too tall? I'm always comforting him letting him know it's not too bad. How tall do you think is acceptable? How many days do you go in between mowing?

I like your boy friend already .
Right now I mow twice a week

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
About once a week, depending on the weather.
I have a neighbor who is obsessive about keeping her lawn very short, she shaves it! As a result it's often yellow and patchy looking because it's too short.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
recall this neighbor who lived next door, would bring a ruler out to measure the growth of his grass. like how anal is that. He has been long gone. New owners now. The old older would have a heart attack if he could see his place now.

I last moved. May 20th, I think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
BTW---FOLKS Not all grass seed is the same. Grass is also a plant. Certain grass seeds grow better in certain zones, with sun, little sun, shade, deep shade. ETC. If you look up grass seed you will find all sorts of types, and combinations etc. Thus my timeliness for cutting grass is different than all yours, does not mean that that is the standard or not the standard. It depends on the type of grass I have grown. etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes indeed. My lawn is probably about 50 percent broadleaf "weeds" but as long as I keep it mowed about every week, it stays lush and green with zero-other maintenance since it rains plenty here.

When I lived in Colorado it was a whole 'nother scenario. My front yard was mostly clover (drought resistant and also maintenance-free) and I paid a premium for football-stadium grade grass in the back yard. Paid off in the long run because that stuff was basically indestructible. Dog pee and traffic, drought, hail, driving on it, whatever. Couldn't kill it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I mow twice while its still cool and we get lots of rain, or when the dog won't go out and pee she doesn't like it when she gets her belly wet so she will do her thing in the drive way. when it starts getting hot I mow onces a week because the clover slows down on its growth.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always let mine grow too tall, but if I kept it short I'd be mowing all the time which I just don't have the motivation to do. The grass in my lawn seems to grow really quickly and it's thick and dark green, it's good grass and sometimes I like sitting in it when it's a bit taller. Or maybe that's just an excuse for being lazy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes, I have my fair share of weeds too. I guess I let the grass grow about two inches before I mow it. The weeds pop up faster than the grass so I have to mow them down whether the grass really needs it or not. I have an riding mower, so cutting grass isn't too bad of a task, but just somehting that needs to be done.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A lot of it is dictated by the weather. Earlier this summer, we had four straight days of rain and the grass loved it. By the time it was dry enough to mow, the grass was knee high in parts of my yard.. I try to avoid that. My yard is usually mowed every other week.

Ask a Question