Mowing is fun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hi all. I'm excited with our new yard and I like yard work, so I went out and bought a new John Deere tractor yesterday with a 54" cutting deck and am excited to use it! I do have some spots in my yard that I want to repair and so I'll be sure to post some photos and get your input. You all are so knowledgeable and I really enjoy all that I'm learning from you! I have spoken to several people at various nurseries here and hard compacted clay seems to be the norm here. That makes we wonder what kind of maintenance I can do on my yard to make it all green and not be spotty with dead areas. Clay seems to be quite the nemesis.

Have an excellent week!

Mike

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Mike,

I share your love of equipment. Have several toys myself and really enjoy using them. You're going to love that Deere.

Many folks around the Houston area bring in sand usually in the spring to spread thinly over their clay gumbo soils.

Looking forward to some pictures from you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi all. I'm excited with our new yard and I like yard work, so I went out and bought a new John Deere tractor yesterday with a 54" cutting deck and am excited to use it! I do have some spots in my yard that I want to repair and so I'll be sure to post some photos and get your input. You all are so knowledgeable and I really enjoy all that I'm learning from you! I have spoken to several people at various nurseries here and hard compacted clay seems to be the norm here. That makes we wonder what kind of maintenance I can do on my yard to make it all green and not be spotty with dead areas. Clay seems to be quite the nemesis.

Have an excellent week!

Mike
DO NOT PRESSURE WASH YOUR NEW MOWER! Whilst the deck bearings may have a dust flap and be considered sealed, they cannot handle the pressure. Hose only and your maintenance will be much reduced.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
DO NOT PRESSURE WASH YOUR NEW MOWER! Whilst the deck bearings may have a dust flap and be considered sealed, they cannot handle the pressure. Hose only and your maintenance will be much reduced.
That's good to know. My plan was to just use my compressor and blow off the grass and dust and, when needed, give it a good wash job but no pressure washing. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Mike,

I share your love of equipment. Have several toys myself and really enjoy using them. You're going to love that Deere.

Many folks around the Houston area bring in sand usually in the spring to spread thinly over their clay gumbo soils.

Looking forward to some pictures from you.
My grandpa was an engineer for John Deere so I'm a bit partial to them. Plus, having grown up in Minnesota and traveling through Iowa and South Dakota to visit my grandma, we saw tons of farms and tons of John Deere tractors of all sizes. I think my next purchase will be a cordless weed trimmer and a leaf blower. The Dewalt stuff looks pretty robust. I have a lot of Dewalt power tools and they have been outstanding!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My other hobby is older garden tractors. I like the Fords. Also enjoy mowing and plowing snow in the winter. Not much else to do in the winter up here.

IMG_0162.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My grandpa was an engineer for John Deere so I'm a bit partial to them. Plus, having grown up in Minnesota and traveling through Iowa and South Dakota to visit my grandma, we saw tons of farms and tons of John Deere tractors of all sizes. I think my next purchase will be a cordless weed trimmer and a leaf blower. The Dewalt stuff looks pretty robust. I have a lot of Dewalt power tools and they have been outstanding!
It has a k66 tranny? Go ahead and google how to change the oil. Mine has 405 hours and I tell you it is softer now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My other hobby is older garden tractors. I like the Fords. Also enjoy mowing and plowing snow in the winter. Not much else to do in the winter up here.

View attachment 88581
I think my wife would shoot me if I started a tractor collection, although I do have a 2,000 sq. ft. garage, so storage is not an issue. LOL For now, I'll coddle this new Deere and try to talk my wife into letting me get more motorcycles. :LOL:

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think my wife would shoot me if I started a tractor collection, although I do have a 2,000 sq. ft. garage, so storage is not an issue. LOL For now, I'll coddle this new Deere and try to talk my wife into letting me get more motorcycles. :LOL:
Could be worse, you could be out drinking......or worse.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I might be more into the fun of cutting the lawn if I could afford a nice new tractor.
I will have to just keep plugging away with my 36” 12hp 27 year old craftsman.
I did score a nice used Honda HRX 217
That I do like how it mows.

I also scored a very good condition Sears leaf Vac/Shredder road side last year. Quick carb clean and tune up it has been great. Im really surprised how well it works. Now I just need a much bigger one!
0A2004C4-8A81-425D-82D1-FCE2E7746340.jpeg

Ask a Question