Do you keep on mowing your grass, as much as you keep up with your garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sometimes, I feel like there is just too much to do! If I am in the position of choosing to mow the lawn or do some weeding to make my flowers happy, I always head for the hoe! Of course, there are times, when I have to pull out the lawn mower. Not so much for keeping the lawn presentable for the neighbors, since I spend my summers out in the country, but to keep away the snakes!

What about you? Are you one of those people that love to cut the grass or do you love to weed, as much as, I do? I mean seriously, my family calls the happy little weeder of the family, I can spend hours plucking away the weeds and be so content!

P.S. I meant for the title of my thread to read, Do you keep up with the mowing of your lawn, as much as, you keep up with mowing your grass? Oops lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in a townhome, so we have people who come around and mow the grass for us. I guess I am lucky in that respect, so all I have to do is tend to my garden needs. My garden consists of potted plants for now, so there is not a great amount of work that needs to be done to them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
When I had a lawn, I didn't mow it. In my opinion long and wild grass looks the prettiest:) Little weeds are pretty in their own way too, so I always let them grow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We mow, and at this time of year, we mow weekly. If we didn't, the grass would get too high for the mower to handle, and we also use the clippings for mulch after they have dried for several days so the grass clippings are used.
We try to keep on top of the garden weeding, but without mulching, we'd be overwhelmed.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I find it ironic that we humans chose ugly turf grass to replace natural prairie. Not only is it horrible for nature but takes more effort too, and most people rarely use their yards for much of anything.

I have a dream of someday owning a home where I can kill off all the grass and do a prairie restoration. Until then, I'll be planting native plants in small gardens around my yard.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yup, I mow every 4 or so days in the summer as the grass grows so quickly. We've only got a small lawn, so it only takes 10 mins :).

Reaction score
Country
United States
The last couple of summers I have been spending extra time keeping the lawn trim. I have lots of weed and clover, but I refuse to spray. A neighbor said that I could keep the weeds back by keeping the lawn cut short. What?? I didn't think it would work, but I gave it a try anyway.

It didn't work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I suppose it depends on how much lawn and garden you have. This time of year I mow once a week and twice a week in the late spring early summer.

I have about five or six times this amount of lawn.
P1200206.JPG

The cuttings are composted and produce about a ton of compost a year. The compost is used to improve the soil in the flower beds and, particularly for all the vegetables I grow.

Not all the lawn areas are kept like this. I have an area, a bit larger than this one, that I leave wild - but have to cut it before it seeds and fills all my flower beds with grass seed.

The wild area has a lot of wild flowers. At this time of year it's covered in thousands of cowslips, primulas and primroses (we call it the 'fairyland') and it's full of colours ranging from deep red, through, shades of orange, purple, yellows and whites.
P1200185.JPG

In June we have wild bee orchids - the ones in my avatar.

Having a large area the cut lawns make the garden look good and offset the flower beds beautifully. The beds tend to be less neat (regimented) and consist of mainly shrubs and perennials that give plenty of colour and/or architectural effect. The weeding of the beds is less frequent than the cutting of the grass as they can be removed piecemeal.

Reaction score
We do it on a weekly basis, in my new house there won't be a lawn, just some bushes and that is it. If I'm lucky I'll be able to start growing a lot different things in the yard :D Glad I won't have to mow anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I see some beautiful weed flowers then I put off mowing the grass. We don't have much grass so it is not a problem, but weeding out my flower area is what I do most. They seem to grow faster than the grass anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My front lawn needs to be cut three times a week until mid August when it slows down due to the heat. It's not a big lawn 30' X 100' and I have a lawn tractor, so 15 mins and I'm done. I'm now in the planning stage of putting hardscape paths thru it with decomposed granite, and then extending the flower beds in some sort of curvy pattern. Should be fun! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Licenter, congratulations on planning curved edge flower beds. They look much more natural, and are easier to mow around, too. We let our grass get a bit taller than usual, then use a hose to outline a bed, put down flour (yup, the white stuff!) along the hose, pick up the hose and mow the pattern. If it's too hard to mow we change the pattern.
A word about decomposed granite--it tracks into the house. Several people we know have used it for paths and one even for a patio, and they all mention it comes in uninvited.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
"If I am in the position of choosing to mow the lawn or do some weeding to make my flowers happy..."

As much as I hate to say, in addition to having to weeds in my flower beds, weeds also suffice for a lawn in my case. On the other hand my "lawn" can be considered drought tolerant. Growing up we had a nice front lawn, but these days, around here it's tough to keep a nice lawn for more than 1 reason.

I have to say Bootsy that is a beautiful looking yard and I love the lawn. I am envious.

Ask a Question