mowing the lawn

Reaction score
How are often do you mow your lawn? We usually mow weekly but I'm wondering if that's enough. We used to have a nice lawn but over the last several years it has been taking over by crabgrass. The crabgrass seems to grow faster than grass so maybe I'm waiting too long to mow. But our grass grows at varying speeds. We will get one section that should be mowed but the rest not yet. I would appreciate some tips.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It really depends on what lawns do you like the most. Personally, I prefer my lawn to look a little wild and artistic and I don't have anything against weeds, so I mow it only from time to time, maybe four or five times a year:p There are no rules, I guess.

Reaction score
Mowing your lawn once a week should be fine. You may even want to try every other week.
I just shared this tip in another posting but I think it may help you as well. Don't rake up or bag the grass clippings after you mow. Instead, leave them on your lawn. This will help your lawn to stay green and healthy.

Reaction score
We have a huge lawn and usually have to mow it at least once a week in the summer. We have flood irrigation and that is how we water it so to keep it looking nice and not messy with debris from the irrigation we have to mow it quite often

Reaction score
The key to preventing crabgrass and other weeds is improving the overall health of the good grass. Keeping a schedule of fertilizing and lime in both the spring and fall makes a huge difference. Mow when you think it needs it, cutting grass too short is never good. If you've had rain and it looks too long mow, if not then let it grow.

Reaction score
At this time of year it's a twice weekly job, we haven't been getting as much rain this year as we usually get, so it isn't growing quite as fast but the spots I tip my spent hydroponic nutrient on go crazy, and become much thicker..

I don't fertilize a whole lot other than tipping my spent nutrient on it, but now and then I do mix up some Seasol and spray with it, the lawn seems to really like it too. I would be thinking Maxicrop would do the same though.

Reaction score
I usually mow and use the weed eater once a week but can get away with every other week in the late fall and winter months. I like to leave it a bit longer but I always enjoy and relax after sitting back and seeing my handiwork. I will always do my own lawn work since I enjoy it so much.

Reaction score
I usually mow and use the weed eater once a week but can get away with every other week in the late fall and winter months. I like to leave it a bit longer but I always enjoy and relax after sitting back and seeing my handiwork. I will always do my own lawn work since I enjoy it so much.
What sort of lawn from interest, Buffalo, or something else? I really am wondering about different growth rates and how hardy each type of grass actually is, to me growth rates don't always stack up to how tough it is.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love mowing my lawn. Some would even say I consider it a hobby! I usually mow at least twice a week if not three times. I like to use the striping kit on the mower to even do stadium striping or checker board looks to the lawn. Considering we have over 8 acres of lawn to mow, I am usually out there for 3 hours at a time mowing. Then after that we have to do the weed eating and edging of all the sidewalk areas. I love to have a lawn that looks amazing. Most years, I can not wait for spring to get here so I can fire the mower up!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Would you believe we need to mow our front and back yards right now? It's mid-February and we have clover, grass, and some little leaf weed growing like crazy!
We are going to mow next week (after we finish putting in the cool season crops in the vegetable gardens) and I'll put the grass/weed clippings in the chicken coop. The chickens will be happy--my husband not as much!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I can't even see my lawn right now its covered with snow, I would love to be out mowing and not using the snow blower thats just not fun any more. Come spring and the warm weather I'll be mowing twice a week because the clover loves the cool wet weather once it really warms up I mow maybe once a week, I like the feel of taller grass plus it gives the dog some thing to try and roll in. :ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question