Is there a (relatively) Quiet Lawnmower?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love sitting out in the yard with a cold beverage and enjoying the nice weather. But we have a neighbor who just LOVES to mow her lawn. I swear she probably does it twice a day, and of course, it's usually when I've just gotten comfortable. The sound of a lawnmower is just about the most annoying thing I can imagine and it's starting to be a problem. I don't know anything about lawnmowers. I pay a guy to mow our yard, and I have him come as infrequently as possible (once every two-three weeks). Have there been any advances in lawn mowing technology that have produced mowers that make substantially less noise?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure there are manual lawnmowers and a few people still use them. They are quiet but hard to use. The trick to using a manual lawnmower is to keep the blades razor-sharp. However, I don't think a lady would use one more than once.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some folks swear by Sheep and Goats.

----

I have this one and I am the coolest mower on my block.
Also I can use the grass in the compost tumbler without worry of petroleum contamination.
Buy a second set of batteries if one does a lot of mowing. Don't use the powered wheels if battery use is an issue.
Let the batteries cool down before recharging.

My other toys are Dewalt...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure there are manual lawnmowers and a few people still use them. They are quiet but hard to use. The trick to using a manual lawnmower is to keep the blades razor-sharp. However, I don't think a lady would use one more than once.
You need a road-hard Country Woman..
The Grass cuts itself out of fear!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
For the last 10 years I had used a manual powered reel mower - American mower 1815. Never had to adjust it. Blades are "sharp" but it's a shearing motion so you'll never cut your skin on just the blade. It was easier to push and move than the self powered gas engine Toro I used at my in-laws. Works GREAT if you keep mowed and have a "non-weedy" lawn of grass and clover. If you let the grass get too long or have tough stem weeds in there it fails.

Last year I bought a DeWalt 20Vmax electric mower. It's about as loud as the American mower 1815. My 11 year old son can use it. Uses the same batteries as my cordless tools. Can chop up the "weeds" and other stuff the reel mower can't.

Both mowers are quieter than a standard household vacuum cleaner.

Reaction score
Country
United States
For the last 10 years I had used a manual powered reel mower - American mower 1815. Never had to adjust it. Blades are "sharp" but it's a shearing motion so you'll never cut your skin on just the blade. It was easier to push and move than the self powered gas engine Toro I used at my in-laws. Works GREAT if you keep mowed and have a "non-weedy" lawn of grass and clover. If you let the grass get too long or have tough stem weeds in there it fails.

Last year I bought a DeWalt 20Vmax electric mower. It's about as loud as the American mower 1815. My 11 year old son can use it. Uses the same batteries as my cordless tools. Can chop up the "weeds" and other stuff the reel mower can't.

Both mowers are quieter than a standard household vacuum cleaner.
Oh my... (drool)
This one looks excellent.
Comes with two 10Ahr batteries too.

Dewalt dual 20V

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll definitely have to look into these and see if I can convince my neighbors to ALL buy them! How about leaf blowers? That's another noise I could really do without...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house three doors up the road is having an extension built and scaffolders erected a roof on it. Had a load of corrugated iron dumped up there and then dragged the sheets to spread them out, one over the other so they bounced on every corrugation. The missus and I, three feet apart in the garden literally could not hear each other, shouting. Glad that only happened once.
I often feel bad about mowing, it is always a decent day when I do it. My next mower is definitely going to be electric, possibly Stihl as I see all their tools like strimmer and hedge cutter use the same batteries.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I agree totally about leaf blowers, they don't even pick them up, just shift from place to place. There are electric leaf vacuums. I don't know how loud they are, but it is a dirty great machine and bag to carry round, strikes me a broom and two pieces of plywood is actually easier, as well as being much cheaper.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
But much slower. We use several different brands of electric blowers and all of them are pretty quiet, especially compared to our oldest gas blowers.
Yes, technically "all they do is shift them from place to place" but so does the broom and plywood until you pick them up. Blowers are 10-20 times faster than brooms. That's why professionals use them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Milwaukee, DeWalt, and Mikita all make a full like of battery power tools and outdoor power equipment. Within each line the batteries are (generally) interchangable tool to tool. I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them - the Milwaukee fan-boy RedArmy will argue with that but they're brainwashed. Part of what I like is now that I have several batteries I can buy the next tool without the battery which saves money and reduces more junk around here.

I also have the DeWalt string trimmer. Again same battery for the lawn mower, trimmer, drill, work light, recip-saw...

My inlaws bought the EGO battery snowblower and it works for them. EGO has a bunch of outdoor stuff which uses the same-ish batteries but not handheld powertools.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I run ryobi batteries. I got started with the drills that I could buy for a crew and not cry when I got them back covered in mud. It evolved into the lithium sytem and I see they have a very highly rated 40v mower. I do not own a pushmower anymore. Its the rider and a first gen echo string trimmer these days. I have the echo 58v chain saw. 2 of those actually. With the sheer diversity of ryobi hand tools its a hard system to beat since its relatively easy to afford them. I cannot believe the mower prices...700+? It makes me come up with an old adage, rich people don't have tool boxes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
It makes me come up with an old adage, rich people don't have tool boxes.
Looking around the shop floor at work (I'm a controls engineer so I work right next to mechanics and electricians all day) and there are some guys who are really tool-rich and cash poor. One guy I'm working with a lot now has a 6 or 7 foot long Snap-On rolling box. The box alone costs more than my little car.

Ask a Question