Warzone Lawn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Google "ph values" and get,
"As this diagram shows, pH ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. pHs less than 7 are acidic while pHs greater than 7 are alkaline (basic)."
Don't know where you did your research, but all my chemistry books agree with that.
Okay, I checked again and the second source agrees with you. I think what's important is letting the gardener know soils pH is important, and is probably causing the bulk of his problem. The soil test will tell him what the reading is.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, I checked again and the second source agrees with you. I think what's important is letting the gardener know soils pH is important, and is probably causing the bulk of his problem. The soil test will tell him what the reading is.
It's very easy to get confused with this table. I'm always getting this kind of thing wrong 🥴

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Well mate, I was trying to be kind, but can it really be that you are right and EVERYBODY else on the forum is an idiot? I don't think so. Have a look at the link, it may help you.

I do agree totally though that finding the ph value of your soil is most important in order to understand which plants to grow in which soil.
In our chalky (alkaline) garden we cannot grow blue hydrangeas or rhododendrons - they have to go in pots using ericaceous compost.

By the way, if @Noons91 is still around, Hydrangeas are perfect for damp and shaded gardens :)

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... Moss has superficial roots that don't penetrate and indicates a highly acidic, firmly packed soil.
Well, at least @mkmiraglia didn't advise molasses to increase root penetration. I've heard it can enable a 5ft rebar section to be completely sunk into impenetrable clay with one hand after molasses application. o_O

With wisdom comes age?
;);)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well, at least @mkmiraglia didn't advise molasses to increase root penetration. I've heard it can enable a 5ft rebar section to be completely sunk into impenetrable clay with one hand after molasses application.
Meadowlark is never going to let you live that one down. At least meadowlark forgot who said it. Hehe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Absolutely not! The pH of his soil is why he can't grow anything.
Wait a minute, you are saying he would be better off acting on misinformation and increasing the imbalance than he would doing nothing? And that second sentence is a strong assertion considering the ph of the soil remains unknown. The cause could be anything from shade, or dryness to the neighbour who secretly sprays dilute weedkiller.

Ask a Question