Volunteer Gardening

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Started work for the National Trust as a volunteer yesterday :)

A few shots of the Garden...
DSCN1429.JPG

DSCN1430.JPG

DSCN1431.JPG

DSCN1432.JPG

Lovely people to work with, spent the day weeding :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
"Make weeding your friend"...a quote I read in an article about gardening and I think it's good advice.;) Outside, hopefully in pleasant weather but if not it's still better than being stuck inside, enjoying the smells and textures and visuals on offer. I bet being involved with the National Trust Gardens will have to be really interesting and satisfying. Good on you for offering your services.(y) I love English gardens and watch reruns of any English programs just to catch a glimpse. I think I know each episode of Midsomer Murders off by heart. I think every investigation in any show in England should be carried on outside just so I can drool.:geek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
"Make weeding your friend."
Love that. :) I actually enjoy weeding (which is a good thing because I do at least some almost every single day.)

@zigs, what a pretty place to spend a day!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Oh Zigs, I am so proud and so glad for you! The National Trust has received a gift/volunteer beyond price!
I volunteered at a local college for several years, and learned so much about native plants, how to identify weeds, and even garden design.
Zigs, please take your camera and during your rest breaks (if you have any!) take photos to show us what you are doing, and gardens you are working in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
What a beautiful way to spend your time. The pictures do have a 'manicured' look. (y)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ta all :)

Plenty of tea was drunk around the table during the day :)

Get to chat with members of the public as they wander round the gardens. I'll take a few more pics next time :)

Tess of the D'urbervilles was written there :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Yes, Lori is good. I chose my handle before we had the country designation module. I do use this handle on other forums such as my workroom association so it keeps it simple for me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds absolutely wonderful, Zigs. The garden is gorgeous.
I've just finished reading Tess of the D'urbervilles:)

Reaction score
Awesome, zigs! If I only was good enough in gardening I'd do something similar. What a great opportunity you got right there, that place looks absolutely gorgeous :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Trellum, you are good enough at gardening. When I started helping out at the college, the head gardener walked me from bed to bed, asking about what the plants were and how to care for them. I got about half the answers right, so I was started out with a weed in hand and told, "If it looks like this, pull it." I finally graduated to pruning but was kept under close supervision.
We learn by doing, so get out there and do (you are desperately needed in some garden, somewhere!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Beautiful garden pics Zigs, and you are so blessed to volunteer at such a beautiful place. Where I work we run at risk youth volunteer programs in which they learn how to do gardening and landscaping in an effort to build skills that they can take with them to society. They are really proud of what they do and love the chance to go out and learn about nature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Zigs - good for you, even better for them!!! Such peaceful and serene pics - send us lots more pics, we can garden vicariously through you!

Ask a Question